Results 1 to 4 of 4
  1. mamen's Avatar
    • Member Info
      • Native Language:
      • Tagalog
      • Home Country:
      • Philippines
      • Current Location:
      • Philippines

    • Join Date: Dec 2008
    • Posts: 312
    #1

    Post please explain!!!

    situation: For example I met a girl before. Now, I want to say something about her, but I don't know if she still has that characteristic.
    What should I use between the two.
    1. She is beautiful.
    or
    2. She was beautiful.

    Now let us assume that I still know that she still has that characteristic.
    What should I use between the two.

    1. She is beautiful.
    or
    2. She was beautiful.

    • Member Info
      • Native Language:
      • Chinese
      • Home Country:
      • Hong Kong
      • Current Location:
      • Hong Kong

    • Join Date: May 2007
    • Posts: 845
    #2

    Re: please explain!!!

    Quote Originally Posted by mamen View Post
    situation: For example I met a girl before. Now, I want to say something about her, but I don't know if she still has that characteristic.
    What should I use between the two.
    1. She is beautiful.
    or
    2. She was beautiful.

    Now let us assume that I still know that she still has that characteristic.
    What should I use between the two.

    1. She is beautiful.
    or
    2. She was beautiful.
    Not a teacher.
    Of course, the present simple. It is a personal quality that lasts for long.

  2. mamen's Avatar
    • Member Info
      • Native Language:
      • Tagalog
      • Home Country:
      • Philippines
      • Current Location:
      • Philippines

    • Join Date: Dec 2008
    • Posts: 312
    #3

    Re: please explain!!!

    Quote Originally Posted by albertino View Post
    Not a teacher.
    Of course, the present simple. It is a personal quality that lasts for long.
    What if you don't know that she is not beautiful now because of an accident.

    • Member Info
      • Native Language:
      • Chinese
      • Home Country:
      • Hong Kong
      • Current Location:
      • Hong Kong

    • Join Date: May 2007
    • Posts: 845
    #4

    Re: please explain!!!

    Quote Originally Posted by mamen View Post
    What if you don't know that she is not beautiful now because of an accident.
    Not a teacher.
    If so, she was no longer beautiful but is ugly now.

Similar Threads

  1. [Grammar] please explain...
    By mamen in forum Ask a Teacher
    Replies: 4
    Last Post: 15-Jan-2009, 14:38
  2. How to explain?
    By Devil's tear in forum English Idioms and Sayings
    Replies: 2
    Last Post: 21-Mar-2008, 13:02
  3. please explain these sentences
    By lalda222 in forum Ask a Teacher
    Replies: 1
    Last Post: 28-Dec-2007, 13:01
  4. please can you explain?
    By Unregistered in forum Ask a Teacher
    Replies: 1
    Last Post: 26-Aug-2007, 23:44
  5. help me, to help me, explain me, explain to me
    By user_gary in forum Ask a Teacher
    Replies: 3
    Last Post: 01-Aug-2007, 16:00

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •