• Native Language:
      • Arabic
      • Home Country:
      • Egypt
      • Current Location:
      • Egypt

Arrow Wondrous as.....

In the name of the Merciful Allah,
    Hi, please, define "as" according to this quote:" But, wondrous as these individual components are, we should point out that, in the big picture of behavior and mental processes, a single cell doesn't do very much." because I can't get the first sentence.
    One more thing, is " As these
    individual components are wondrous, we .." equal to: " wondrous as these individual components are, we......?
    Last edited by Egyption Arrow; 17-Mar-2009 at 17:39.

• Member Info
      • Native Language:
      • Arabic
      • Home Country:
      • Egypt
      • Current Location:
      • Egypt

Re: Wondrous as.....

Hi guys, please try to answer this. It's not that hard. Thanks a lot ahead.

• Member Info
      • Native Language:
      • Arabic
      • Home Country:
      • Egypt
      • Current Location:
      • Egypt

Hey, it's not chemistry!

• Member Info
      • Native Language:
      • Arabic
      • Home Country:
      • Egypt
      • Current Location:
      • Egypt

Alright, let me rephrase it: what's the meaning of "as" in this context: " But, wondrous as these individual components are, we should point out that ......."
    Also, is the order of this phrase: " As these individual components are wondrous, we should ......" the same as in this one: " wondrous as these individual components are, we should......?
    Last edited by Egyption Arrow; 17-Mar-2009 at 17:38.

It's an adverb. It's just your plain old

'as.........as' construction : as hard as I try, I can't understand what this means.
    It's used in comparisons to refer to the extent or degree of something : "Hailstones as big as tennis balls."
    "Go as fast as you can to the shop. They'll be closing very soon."
    But, (as) wondrous as these individual components are,...

One more thing, is " As these individual components are wondrous, we .." equal to: " wondrous as these individual components are, we......?
    No. We accept that the components are 'wondrous', so that "As these individual components are wondrous" is just restating that. What the 'as wondrous as' construction does, is say, yes they are wondrous, but even so, in comparison with everything else going on in the brain, it's contribution to mental processes/thinking/imagery/imagination is pretty small.
    Last edited by David L.; 17-Mar-2009 at 17:51.

• Member Info
      • Native Language:
      • Arabic
      • Home Country:
      • Egypt
      • Current Location:
      • Egypt

Do You mean there is something wrong with my quote, or my questions? Why did you mention the construction of "as...as"; it is a one "as", in the quote, and not two?!
    Last edited by Egyption Arrow; 17-Mar-2009 at 17:48.

I gave him the answer so he would be enlightened.

I gave him the answer so that he would be enlightened.

Note how, at times, to make sentences shorter, a word may be left out because it doesn't change the meaning of the sentence. I put in the 'as' that had been 'left out' of the sentence you quoted, to show that in fact it is an 'as...as' construction and some comparison was being made. The writer left out the first 'as' because it makes the sentence shorter and doesn't change the meaning of the sentence.
    Last edited by David L.; 17-Mar-2009 at 18:25.

• Member Info
      • Native Language:
      • Arabic
      • Home Country:
      • Egypt
      • Current Location:
      • Egypt

First, I'm grateful for you. But, I disagree with your answer; I've come up with something else about my question. I think as here means although. My example is just as this:Angry as he was, he couldn't help smiling, or this: Hard-working as she is, she can't compete with the others.

Let's stick with your first sentence - that's where I considered the better construction was 'as wondrous as'

So - your sentence would be: "Although these individual components are wondrous, ........"

This detracts from 'how wondrous', which then detracts from how really really really wondrous the higher mental processes are if the single neuron is relatively minor in comparison.

Although he was angry, he couldn't help smiling.
    As angry as he was, he couldn't help smiling.

Can you see a difference in the intensity of the 'anger'?
    The first sentence states, yes, he was angry, but he couldn't help smiling too.
    The second sentence gives a bigger contrast between 'how angry" he was, and still, even so, he couldn't help smiling.

It is the point of view of the writer. In your original sentence, I considered the writer did not wish to detract from the significance of the two 'wondrous' miracles under discussion, the single neuron, and the higher mental processes, and the contrast between them.

You may have it either way. It's a matter of style, and the meaning intended.
    Last edited by David L.; 19-Mar-2009 at 15:00.

• Member Info
      • Native Language:
      • Arabic
      • Home Country:
      • Egypt
      • Current Location:
      • Egypt

Sorry, it was my mistake not to present the whole paragraph, especially what precede my quote.
    Still I need to know about changing of the sentence order, when as means although.
    Can I say: as he was angry, he couldn't ....., instead of : Angry as he was, he ....
    Last edited by Egyption Arrow; 19-Mar-2009 at 15:30.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast