1. Newbie
    Student or Learner

English Language (OCR) Coursework

Hello, Im currently in my last year at 6th form and am working towards my final exams. I was wondering however if i could receive some help with my coursework. I am looking at 2 texts a modern version of "The 3 little pigs" and an old version. The title of my coursework is By analysis of lexis, syntax, grammar and prosodic features it is possible to argue that traditional tales perform moralistic function whereas modern tales offer entertainment. My teacher has looked at it a few times and I just don't seem to be grasping the task. I have gone through each text and identified pronouns etc. My teacher has also given me the following heading to discuss:

Mode of address
    Contractions and names
    Short sentences
    Humour

Any help and suggestions would me appreciated.

Thank you

• Member Info
      • Native Language:
      • English
      • Home Country:
      • Canada
      • Current Location:
      • Canada

Re: English Language (OCR) Coursework

Do you mean Optical Character Recogntion?

• Member Info
      • Native Language:
      • English
      • Home Country:
      • United States
      • Current Location:
      • United States

Re: English Language (OCR) Coursework

Quote Originally Posted by konungursvia View Post
    Do you mean Optical Character Recogntion?
    No, he's referring to the Oxford Cambridge and RSA exams.

Jules, they're asking you to compare the way the two different versions of Three Little Pigs are written, that is, the old version versus the modern. When reading the older version, do you find the emphasis of the story to be teaching the reader the importance of preparing for the worst case scenario (the third pig built the brick house, which proved to be the strongest in case of wolf attack)? Did the modern text seem to emphasize the huffing and puffing of the fierce wolf over the ingenuity of the pig who discovered that bricks were best? That is, did the modern text play up the "action" more than the "message"? (Sort of like the difference between two films based on the real-life news story of a plane being hijacked. The first film shows the terrorists planning their strategy and then examines the reactions of the passengers being held hostage - the range of their emotions from fear to indignation to rage. The second film features lots of gunfire and grenandes and explosions and Angelina Jolie as the brave flight attendant who manages to get her blouse ripped open during the crisis.)