Indians: Asian Indians Or American Indians??

When I say "Idians" I'm usually referring to Asian Indians(from India). But Americans usually take it as American Indians.

So, to avoid misunderstandings, how do I specify the race I'm talking about? Should I say "Asian Idians" and "American Indians"??

But nowadays, there are also a love ot Asian Indian immigrants in America as well as in UK and other English countries. How do I specify Asian Indian and Native American Indians?

Thanks in advance.

• Member Info
      • Native Language:
      • English
      • Home Country:
      • New Zealand
      • Current Location:
      • New Zealand

Re: Indians: Asian Indians Or American Indians??

Quote Originally Posted by VividJailbird View Post
    When I say "Idians" I'm usually referring to Asian Indians(from India). But Americans usually take it as American Indians.

So, to avoid misunderstandings, how do I specify the race I'm talking about? Should I say "Asian Idians" and "American Indians"??

But nowadays, there are also a love ot Asian Indian immigrants in America as well as in UK and other English countries. How do I specify Asian Indian and Native American Indians?

Thanks in advance.
    I'm not a professional teacher, but from what I've seen, "East Indian" is a commonly used in Canadian English when referring to Indians from the subcontinent. From experience working with Punjabis in both ESOL and research assistance, "South Asian" is quite common in the UK and NZ. It also has the advantage of being applicable to people from across the subcontinent, from Pakistan to Bangladesh and Sri Lanka. Certainly here in NZ if one just said "Indian", the assumption would be that one was talking about someone from India, not a Native American.