Other
Native Language
English
Home Country
United States
Current Location
United States
In the movie, "Happy Go Lucky", the driving instructed uses the word:
Enraha. Does this word or words (en ra ha) have meanings? The director in the commentary states to google the word for a definition. But nothing comes up. Any suggestions?

Thanks.

Ouisch

Key Member
Member Type
English Teacher
Native Language
English
Home Country
United States
Current Location
United States
It is the "name" the driving instructor gave to the rearview mirror of the car. In order to remind students to use their three mirrors (driver's side, passenger side, and rear) while driving he named each after a fallen angel. The rear view mirror was "Enraha," and the trio of mirrors together was "the Golden Triangle." :)

hadpar

Member Type
Other
I came by this question when searching the internet for the word (or term) Enraha, and could not resist trying to answer this question.

From the context this term is used in the movie, it seems to be a mythological term. Not being a native English speaker I find that often I do not recognize the way English speakers pronounce and spell mythological names.

The first time the driving teacher mentions Enraha he speaks of "the eye at the top of the pyramid". This made me think that Enraha might be derived from ancient Egyptian culture. And later it occured to me that Enraha is very similar to the Hebrew "Ayn ha-ra", which literally translates to "bad eye", and means bad luck.

And yes, as the other answer given in this forum to the states, the driving teacher names the three mirrors after three angels. The other 2 angels are Lucifer and Azriel (I might be mistaken about this last one), both known names. This made me assume that Enraha is also a known angel name, but turns out it is not.

Member Type
Student or Learner
EnRaHa! yes, the meaning is this, Scott and the Director have the last laugh on us! No, Scott is not laughing, he is glaring and growling at us!

haha! The director REALLY has a great sense of humour! :lol: loves to mess with his audiences!

demonarundo

Member Type
Academic
Hello ; I'm Arabian from Egypt

I saw the film today and also stopped at the word " Enraha " and i reached here while googling for the meaning

We didn't got any thing in Arabic or in ancient Egyptian called "Enraha"

but instead it may mean " Ein - Raa " in Arabic

this in English means [ Ein = Eye ] , [ Raa = Horus ]
Horus is someone the pharaohs thought he was a god ( unbelievers )

and the sign of his eyes is well known everywhere

may be.

Status
Not open for further replies.