the word 'having'.

I was corrected by my friends, when i used the word 'having' in the following two sentences:
    "Are you having my lighter?" and "Im not having the lighter."

Is it wrong to use the word 'having' in this manner? Thank you for your time.

Re: the word 'having'.

Quote Originally Posted by rachelding View Post
    I was corrected by my friends, when i used the word 'having' in the following two sentences:
    "Are you having my lighter?" and "Im not having the lighter."

Is it wrong to use the word 'having' in this manner? Thank you for your time.
    I think it's wrong. The verb 'to have' when used in the meaning of possession is a statal verb, it does not admit of continuous forms, even when it indicates a temporary action. So "Have you got my lighter?"

We would ask the question, "Are you a teacher?"
    "Are you going to work today?"

but
    "Do you have my lighter?" - "I haven't got your lighter."

Ice-cream seller: We have strawberry and vanilla ice-cream.
    Me: Do you have any chocolate ice-cream?
    Seller: We only have strawberry and vanilla.

HOWEVER:
    Sometimes we shorten this, so the conversation might be:
    Ice-cream seller: We have strawberry and vanilla ice-cream.
    Me: Have you any chocolate (ice-cream)?
    Seller: We only have strawberry and vanilla.
    Last edited by David L.; 17-Mar-2009 at 19:06.

Thank you for your answer. I have a further question that would help me understand the usage of this word better. As far as I am aware of, the word "having' is used to connote the temporary possesion of something. I know that we can use sentences like, "I am having my dinner now', or 'he is having a fit!' Could you please tell me the difference between using 'Having' in the abovementioned sentences, and using it in, "are you having my lighter?' What does the term, 'statal verb' mean?

Quote Originally Posted by rachelding View Post
    Thank you for your answer. I have a further question that would help me understand the usage of this word better. As far as I am aware of, the word "having' is used to connote the temporary possesion of something. I know that we can use sentences like, "I am having my dinner now', or 'he is having a fit!' Could you please tell me the difference between using 'Having' in the abovementioned sentences, and using it in, "are you having my lighter?' What does the term, 'statal verb' mean?
    'To have dinner' can hardly be interpreted as 'to be in the possession of dinner' but rather as 'to carry out the action of dining'. It's not a coincidence that expressions like 'to have a talk', 'to have a smoke' can be replaced by the corresponding verbs 'to talk' or 'to smoke'. The verb 'to have' is used in such combinations as part of a phraseological unit which presents an event as a process.

"I am having my dinner now', and 'he is having a fit!' are written in Present Continuous tense. As such, they indicate an action is in progress, with a definite beginning, and that the speaker sees this as being 'temporary', having a definite end to the action.

..........my life..........<...I am having dinner........>|(dinner finished)...my life
    In these sentences, 'have' means 'to experience,undergo, suffer'. 'experiences' can occur over time, as in "I'm having a bad day."

With 'have my lighter', 'have' means 'to own, possess', and you either have it or you don't have it. You either own something or you don't. "having' and 'owning' are not actions that we can see as happening over a period of time, taking a period of time while the action is in progress, then coming to an end.
    The moment you pick the lighter up, you have it.
    Last edited by David L.; 17-Mar-2009 at 21:11.

Having told me that, I have to agree.

thank you all for your explanations. it has helped me to understand the usage of this word.