• Member Info
      • Native Language:
      • Korean
      • Home Country:
      • South Korea
      • Current Location:
      • South Korea

wax lyrical

I don't understand what the following in bold are saying. Please help me understand them.

There are some areas where many firms have good knowledge but some areas where we often fall short. Our businesses often have excellent knowledge of our products. We can wax lyrical about the technical specifications, functionality, and aesthetics as anyone who has met a car salesman can vouch..... I propose that there are six core areas of knowledge in which our organizations must be able to excel.

* Knowledge of our corporate history---the adage 'history repeats itself---it has to, no-one listens the first time' is just as real in business where we can observe companies making mistakes they, or others made 20 or 30 years ago.

Thank you.

• Member Info
      • Native Language:
      • English
      • Home Country:
      • United States
      • Current Location:
      • United States

Re: wax lyrical

Quote Originally Posted by unpakwon View Post
    i don't understand what the following in bold are saying. Please help me understand them.

There are some areas where many firms have good knowledge but some areas where we often fall short. Our businesses often have excellent knowledge of our products. We can wax lyrical = sing sweetly, rhapsodize extravagantly about the technical specifications, functionality, and aesthetics as anyone who has met a car salesman can vouch = a person who has listened to a car dealer's pitch can attest ..... I propose that there are six core areas of knowledge in which our organizations must be able to excel.

* knowledge of our corporate history---the adage 'history repeats itself---it has to, no-one listens the first time' = history repeats itself until we get the message is just as real in business where we can observe companies making mistakes they, or others made 20 or 30 years ago.

Thank you.
    Wax, in this sense, means to grow, to swell. In modern English, it's usually just used to talk about the moon, which waxes and wanes. Lyrics are the words to songs. The expression "to wax lyrical" means to sing praises. As in your example, it's usually used ironically.