Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
Results 1 to 10 of 16
    • Member Info
      • Native Language:
      • German
      • Home Country:
      • Germany
      • Current Location:
      • Sweden

    • Join Date: Feb 2008
    • Posts: 1,638
    #1

    resolved

    Hi

    I seem to have resolved a lot of feelings for my father.

    --- Does it mean I understood what I felt for my father?

  1. Monticello's Avatar
    • Member Info
      • Native Language:
      • English
      • Home Country:
      • United States
      • Current Location:
      • United States

    • Join Date: Feb 2009
    • Posts: 455
    #2

    Re: resolved

    Quote Originally Posted by GUEST2008 View Post
    Hi

    I seem to have resolved a lot of feelings for my father.

    --- Does it mean I understood what I felt for my father?
    Hi GUEST2008,

    -Your sentence seems to be hinting at gaining a greater degree of understanding about your feelings for your father. But the keyword here is resolved, which implies something (here specifically, your feelings) that formerly was seeking resolution. Why not be clearer by stating the following? :
    I seem to have resolved a lot of former feelings of _____ about my father.
    Fill in the blank with what exactly what those former feelings were, and your sentence now has more clarity for your reader.

    By the way, Mark Twain might find some sympathy about your growth in understanding:
    When I was a boy of fourteen, my father was so ignorant I could hardly stand to have the old man around. But when I got to be twenty-one, I was astonished at how much the old man had learned in seven years.


    • Join Date: Nov 2007
    • Posts: 5,409
    #3

    Re: resolved

    Why not be clearer by stating the following? :
    I seem to have resolved a lot of former feelings of _____ about my father.


    Hang on. 'resolve' means 'to settle or find a solution to'. Why is it necessary to introduce the idea of 'former' (i) because they must have been there 'formerly' in order to be resolved (ii) and because, since you cannot once and for all 'resolve' the feelings of love, anger, hate and you name it, you then by necessity have to further complicate the sentence by changing "resolved a lot of feelings" by forcing the writer to spill his guts about what feelings:

    to "resolved a lot of former feelings of (love.anger/hate whatever) about my father".
    This is a matter of style as well as clarity. Give all the info in one giant dollop and we have 'facts', not the agonizing as one reveals.
    Steady on.
    Last edited by David L.; 20-Mar-2009 at 02:04.

  2. Monticello's Avatar
    • Member Info
      • Native Language:
      • English
      • Home Country:
      • United States
      • Current Location:
      • United States

    • Join Date: Feb 2009
    • Posts: 455
    #4

    Re: resolved

    Quote Originally Posted by David L. View Post
    Why not be clearer by stating the following? :
    I seem to have resolved a lot of former feelings of _____ about my father.

    Hang on. 'resolve' means 'to settle or find a solution to'. Why is it necessary to introduce the idea of 'former' (i) because they must have been there 'formerly' in order to be resolved (ii) and because, since you cannot once and for all 'resolve' the feelings of love, anger, hate and you name it, you then by necessity have to further complicate the sentence by changing "resolved a lot of feelings" by forcing the writer to spill his guts about what feelings:

    to "resolved a lot of former feelings of (love.anger/hate whatever) about my father".
    This is a matter of style as well as clarity. Give all the info in one giant dollop and we have 'facts', not the agonizing as one reveals.
    Steady on.
    Hi David,

    Forcing? Please. It's merely a suggestion.

    Obviously, the writer is setting down things that are personal in nature. Then why not get to the heart of the matter? Else, why bother at all?

    Your quibbling over "resolved ... former" is simply a matter of style. My suggestion was given with a full understanding of the repitition, which here supplies emphasis.

    Do you really wish to constrain a writer by "rules" (here, your apparent reservation about a redundancy) without any forethought about the nuances that can be gained through working within such rules?


    • Join Date: Nov 2007
    • Posts: 5,409
    #5

    Re: resolved

    Monticello:
    You begin by saying:
    ...the writer is setting down things that are personal in nature. Then why not get to the heart of the matter? Else, why bother at all?

    Then you ask me:
    Do you really wish to constrain a writer by "rules"?

    Sorry, sir, but you just laid down a rule: get straight to the heart of it!

    As you say, a matter of style.
    Let's leave it there.

  3. Monticello's Avatar
    • Member Info
      • Native Language:
      • English
      • Home Country:
      • United States
      • Current Location:
      • United States

    • Join Date: Feb 2009
    • Posts: 455
    #6

    Re: resolved

    Quote Originally Posted by David L. View Post
    Monticello:
    You begin by saying:
    ...the writer is setting down things that are personal in nature. Then why not get to the heart of the matter? Else, why bother at all?

    Then you ask me:
    Do you really wish to constrain a writer by "rules"

    Sorry, sir, but you just laid down a rule: get straight to the heart of it!

    As you say, a matter of style.
    Let's leave it there.
    I fail to see how "get[ting] to the heart of the matter" excludes the emphasis I suggested. In fact, it supports the very "rule" to which you now appear to be objecting.

    Please, let's strive for some consistency in (your) logic.


    • Join Date: Nov 2007
    • Posts: 5,409
    #7

    Re: resolved

    Do I?...don't I?...I do love a good tussle.

    No. The moderators will frown.


    ...but then, just a little encouragement, a little egging on...?

    Your evil, David. Down, boy, down.

  4. Monticello's Avatar
    • Member Info
      • Native Language:
      • English
      • Home Country:
      • United States
      • Current Location:
      • United States

    • Join Date: Feb 2009
    • Posts: 455
    #8

    Re: resolved

    Quote Originally Posted by David L. View Post
    Do I?...don't I?...I do love a good tussle.

    No. The moderators will frown.


    ...but then, just a little encouragement, a little egging on...?

    Your evil, David. Down, boy, down.
    And your (il)logic?
    Last edited by Monticello; 20-Mar-2009 at 05:03.


    • Join Date: Nov 2007
    • Posts: 5,409
    #9

    Re: resolved

    Let the Marquess of Queensberry rules prevail!!!!!!!!

    Go for it, fellow sinner. Throw the first punch: what aspect shall we 'debate'.

  5. Monticello's Avatar
    • Member Info
      • Native Language:
      • English
      • Home Country:
      • United States
      • Current Location:
      • United States

    • Join Date: Feb 2009
    • Posts: 455
    #10

    Re: resolved

    Quote Originally Posted by David L. View Post
    Let the Marquess of Queensberry rules prevail!!!!!!!!

    Go for it, fellow sinner. Throw the first punch: what aspect shall we 'debate'.
    I thought so.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Similar Threads

  1. Error Identification
    By ocean_soul in forum Ask a Teacher
    Replies: 2
    Last Post: 22-Jun-2008, 13:26
  2. Some questions needed resolved
    By belly_ttt in forum Ask a Teacher
    Replies: 2
    Last Post: 02-Dec-2007, 14:22
  3. resolved to constitute
    By user_gary in forum Ask a Teacher
    Replies: 3
    Last Post: 19-Mar-2007, 15:38
  4. get or be?
    By hlbert03 in forum Ask a Teacher
    Replies: 13
    Last Post: 04-Sep-2006, 10:23
  5. Vocabulary
    By jiang in forum Ask a Teacher
    Replies: 17
    Last Post: 30-May-2004, 21:14

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •