Results 1 to 9 of 9
    • Member Info
      • Native Language:
      • Chinese
      • Home Country:
      • China
      • Current Location:
      • China

    • Join Date: Oct 2007
    • Posts: 1,618
    #1

    important that ... must/should do sth

    Grammar books and dictionaries always say to use '(should) do' after adjectives like 'important/necessary/essential etc'. But I read these sentences from the American Corpus:

    It is important that parents must not view Ritalin as the first and only intervention for controlling ADD/ADHD...

    I think it 's essential that one must get on with one's life.

    And perhaps the most helpful thing that people who are dealing in educating children, is that it is important for them that they must be ready to turn to help to the people who are around them, such as their schoolteachers, their parents, their other relatives, in an effort to find adult corroboration of the sense of abuse here.

    Is the 'must' in these sentences fine, or correctly used or even better than '(should) verb' in situations like these?

    Could I ask native speakers to help me please? Thank you in advance.

    • Member Info
      • Native Language:
      • British English
      • Home Country:
      • UK
      • Current Location:
      • Japan

    • Join Date: Jan 2009
    • Posts: 1,507
    #2

    Re: important that ... must/should do sth

    No, not fine at all, in fact completely redundant! In BrE the should-form is used in this kind of construction, and in AmE the present subjunctive.

    • Member Info
      • Native Language:
      • Chinese
      • Home Country:
      • China
      • Current Location:
      • China

    • Join Date: Oct 2007
    • Posts: 1,618
    #3

    Re: important that ... must/should do sth

    Quote Originally Posted by philo2009 View Post
    No, not fine at all, in fact completely redundant! In BrE the should-form is used in this kind of construction, and in AmE the present subjunctive.
    Thank you a lot, philo2009. Then what do you think of this sentence from LONGMAN 4th edtion, suggest:

    It has been suggested that the manager will resign if any more players are sold.

    Thank you again.

    • Member Info
      • Native Language:
      • British English
      • Home Country:
      • UK
      • Current Location:
      • Japan

    • Join Date: Jan 2009
    • Posts: 1,507
    #4

    Re: important that ... must/should do sth

    Perfectly OK. The verb 'suggest' has essentially two distinct meanings: (1) propose (a course of action), (2) tentatively state (a fact). When used in sense (1) it governs the verb in either the subjunctive or the should-form, but when used - as in your example - in sense (2), it governs the indicative.

    • Member Info
      • Native Language:
      • Chinese
      • Home Country:
      • China
      • Current Location:
      • China

    • Join Date: Oct 2007
    • Posts: 1,618
    #5

    Re: important that ... must/should do sth

    Quote Originally Posted by philo2009 View Post
    Perfectly OK. The verb 'suggest' has essentially two distinct meanings: (1) propose (a course of action), (2) tentatively state (a fact). When used in sense (1) it governs the verb in either the subjunctive or the should-form, but when used - as in your example - in sense (2), it governs the indicative.
    Thanks a lot, philo.

    It has been suggested that the manager will resign if any more players are sold.

    This sentence of Longman's is put under the first meaning item of 'suggest':
    1. to tell someone your ideas about what they should do, where they should go etc (=propose)

    Thus came my question above. I'm puzzled about why 'will resign' is used rather than '(should) resign'. Could you please explain further?

    • Member Info
      • Native Language:
      • British English
      • Home Country:
      • UK
      • Current Location:
      • Japan

    • Join Date: Jan 2009
    • Posts: 1,507
    #6

    Re: important that ... must/should do sth

    Quote Originally Posted by joham View Post
    Thanks a lot, philo.

    It has been suggested that the manager will resign if any more players are sold.

    This sentence of Longman's is put under the first meaning item of 'suggest':
    1. to tell someone your ideas about what they should do, where they should go etc (=propose)

    Thus came my question above. I'm puzzled about why 'will resign' is used rather than '(should) resign'. Could you please explain further?
    If that is the case (and I would recommend that you double-check), then that particular entry is clearly in need of revision. It is not possible to use 'suggest' in the sense of 'propose' with 'will' .


    • Join Date: Nov 2007
    • Posts: 5,409
    #7

    Re: important that ... must/should do sth

    And if you need two forum members to out-vote one Longman, than I'm with Philo.

    • Member Info
      • Native Language:
      • English
      • Home Country:
      • England
      • Current Location:
      • England

    • Join Date: Feb 2005
    • Posts: 2,585
    #8

    Re: important that ... must/should do sth

    Certainly the Longman example seems oddly placed.

    1. I suggest that the manager will resign if any more players are sold.

    prediction.

    2. I suggest that the manager resign if any more players are sold.
    3. I suggest that the manager should resign if any more players are sold.

    proposals.

    MrP

    Not a professional ESL teacher.

    • Member Info
      • Native Language:
      • British English
      • Home Country:
      • UK
      • Current Location:
      • Japan

    • Join Date: Jan 2009
    • Posts: 1,507
    #9

    Re: important that ... must/should do sth

    Quote Originally Posted by David L. View Post
    And if you need two forum members to out-vote one Longman, than I'm with Philo.
    I think we might need a few thousand, but thanks for your kindly support!


Similar Threads

  1. ESSAY!!!facts as important as ideas and concepts?
    By kaka90 in forum Editing & Writing Topics
    Replies: 5
    Last Post: 21-May-2008, 09:59
  2. important for/ to sb
    By joham in forum Ask a Teacher
    Replies: 1
    Last Post: 13-Apr-2008, 14:57
  3. important to me or for me
    By michaelfung in forum Ask a Teacher
    Replies: 1
    Last Post: 26-Oct-2007, 05:07
  4. Important for vs important to
    By silviasabater_2000 in forum Ask a Teacher
    Replies: 6
    Last Post: 29-Mar-2007, 00:01
  5. for someone / to someone
    By Kumiko-jk in forum Ask a Teacher
    Replies: 24
    Last Post: 25-Sep-2004, 05:58

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •