Is there any alternative to "First, Secondly,thirdly..."?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Spetsnaz26

Member Type
Student or Learner
Native Language
Chinese
Home Country
China
Current Location
China
I wrote a lot of essays recently and I'm really getting tired of this "First,..Secondly,..." structure. So, is there any alternative as far as formal writing is concerned?

Thanks in advance.

svartnik

Key Member
Member Type
Student or Learner
I wrote a lot of essays recently and I'm really getting tired of this "First,..Secondly,..." structure. So, is there any alternative as far as formal writing is concerned?

Thanks in advance.

To begin with
furthermore
last but not least
On top of that
In addition

jayan12

Member Type
Interested in Language
Native Language
Tamil
Home Country
India
Current Location
India

Thanks in advance.

at the outset

Spetsnaz26

Member Type
Student or Learner
Native Language
Chinese
Home Country
China
Current Location
China
To begin with
furthermore
last but not least
On top of that
In addition
Thanks,but we were taught in school to use "last but not least" but I always think it sounds awkward. Is this really used commonly enough in English-speaking world?

thod00

Member Type
Student or Learner
I have noticed this is bullet pointing with firstly,secondly, thirdly etc seems to be quite common in non natives essays. It isn't how I would make my points. I would usually just state them. They automatically gain numbers from the order I mention them.

sws1234

Member Type
Student or Learner
I have noticed this is bullet pointing with firstly,secondly, thirdly etc seems to be quite common in non natives essays.

Hi thod00

I am confused by the sentence you wrote.
And what does bullet pointing mean here?

Would you please explain that?

Thank you!

thod00

Member Type
Student or Learner
Take for example the "Notices" statement above this window.

"You are welcome to answer questions posted in the Ask a Teacher forum as long as your suggestions, help, and advice reflect a good understanding of the English language. If you are not a teacher, you will need to state that clearly at the top of your post. Please note, all posts are moderated by our in-house language experts, so make sure your suggestions, help, and advice house the kind of information an international language teacher would offer. If not, and your posts do not contribute to the topic in a positive way, they will be subject to deletion."
You do not have to say:

Firstly, you are welcome to answer questions posted in the Ask a Teacher forum as long as your suggestions, help, and advice reflect a good understanding of the English language.

Secondly, if you are not a teacher, you will need to state that clearly at the top of your post.

Thirdly, please note, all posts are moderated by our in-house language experts, so make sure your suggestions, help, and advice house the kind of information an international language teacher would offer.

A bullet point is a marker used to indicate items in a list, the filled circles in the below:

• point1
  • point2
  • point3

Searching for language

Member Type
Other
Native Language
German
Home Country
Germany
Current Location
Canada
"Last but not least" is used quite commonly. It sums up a list, and re-inforces the importance of all of the points.

"Last but definitely not least" may also be used.

I am not a teacher.

Status
Not open for further replies.