phrasal verbs

Hello
    I am currently comparing german and english phrasal verbs and I have noticed that the german language contains a number of phrasal verbs (actually, rather said prefixed verbs) that work in pairs like "aufwachen", and "erwachen" ...
    Does any one have an idea of any other examples of this kind of equivalence in english like "to wake up" and the rather formal "to awake"?

Re: phrasal verbs

Quote Originally Posted by nadiaines View Post
    Hello
    I am currently comparing german and english phrasal verbs and I have noticed that the german language contains a number of phrasal verbs (actually, rather said prefixed verbs) that work in pairs like "aufwachen", and "erwachen" ...
    Does any one have an idea of any other examples of this kind of equivalence in english like "to wake up" and the rather formal "to awake"?
    aufmachen - zumachen?

Re: phrasal verbs

Thank you for your reply...auf/zumachen are actually opposites...open and close. aufwachen and erwachen have the same meaning.
    For some other examples, the difference lies in the collocation for example aufbauen and erbauen will be used with different entities...aufbauen has a spatial meaning, describing an upward movement for buildings, erbauen, has both a spatial meaning (eine Kirche erbauen) and a more abstract meaning when talking about a human being in a rather, let's say, spiritual way (Geistige erhebung)...there are many exemples of this kind in German like aufstellen/erstellen, aufblühen/erblühen...

I was wondering if the same exists in English