Results 1 to 3 of 3

    • Join Date: Sep 2008
    • Posts: 54

    comparative degree of "prudent"?

    Hello, there. What is comparative degree of "prudent"? Is it prudenter or more prudent? I learned that we should use more for comparative degree of a word that has more than 3 syllables. Is it correct?

    • Join Date: Feb 2009
    • Posts: 364

    Re: comparative degree of "prudent"?

    "more prudent".

    Saying that, you should be aware that you will sometimes hear people making up words like "prudenter" as they apply a rule incorrectly. Native English speakers mangle the language too.
    Last edited by thod00; 20-Mar-2009 at 15:16. Reason: typo

  1. Soup's Avatar
    VIP Member
    English Teacher
    • Member Info
      • Native Language:
      • English
      • Home Country:
      • Canada
      • Current Location:
      • China

    • Join Date: Sep 2007
    • Posts: 5,882

    Re: comparative degree of "prudent"?

    Two-syllable words that end in -y, -le, and -er form the comparative by adding -er.

    Source Comparative Forms of Adjectives

Similar Threads

  1. Replies: 1
    Last Post: 16-Mar-2009, 13:47
  2. comparative degree
    By Clark in forum Ask a Teacher
    Replies: 11
    Last Post: 11-Nov-2008, 21:35
  3. College Degree
    By Unregistered in forum Editing & Writing Topics
    Replies: 7
    Last Post: 22-Jul-2008, 03:53
  4. have, will have, comparative degree, 's
    By jiang in forum Ask a Teacher
    Replies: 3
    Last Post: 14-Jun-2008, 19:33
  5. Comparative degree
    By kannanvv07 in forum Ask a Teacher
    Replies: 1
    Last Post: 05-Jun-2008, 08:45


Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts