• Native Language:
      • English
      • Home Country:
      • Canada
      • Current Location:
      • Canada

• Post Thanks / Like

Memories of Mark Twain...

I was wondering if anyone can help me identify a passage I remember seeing from Mark Twain on an SAT exam but which I would like to cite in an article I am writing. I can't find which book or writing it is from.

Vaguely, it was as follows:

A bunch of small town boys who admire the steamboat men immensely gather round a slightly older boy who has returned from an adventure - he actually stowed away and then got hired on a steamboat, and had several stories, and clothing, and articles to prove it. The boys were in total awe, and expressed both love and jealousy as the portrait of the steamboat boy is described.

I wish I remembered more. Is there anyone familiar with Twain's works who can give me a pointer as to where to find this passage once again?

• Member Info
      • Native Language:
      • English
      • Home Country:
      • UK
      • Current Location:
      • UK

• Post Thanks / Like

Re: Memories of Mark Twain...

Quote Originally Posted by konungursvia View Post
    I was wondering if anyone can help me identify a passage I remember seeing from Mark Twain on an SAT exam but which I would like to cite in an article I am writing. I can't find which book or writing it is from.

Vaguely, it was as follows:

A bunch of small town boys who admire the steamboat men immensely gather round a slightly older boy who has returned from an adventure - he actually stowed away and then got hired on a steamboat, and had several stories, and clothing, and articles to prove it. The boys were in total awe, and expressed both love and jealousy as the portrait of the steamboat boy is described.

I wish I remembered more. Is there anyone familiar with Twain's works who can give me a pointer as to where to find this passage once again?
    I wouldn't say familiar, but I did read Tom Sawyer and Huckleberry Finn more than 40 years ago; and the passage rings a very faint bell. If I were a betting man, I'd put my money on one of those two.

b

• Member Info
      • Native Language:
      • English
      • Home Country:
      • Canada
      • Current Location:
      • Canada

• Post Thanks / Like

Re: Memories of Mark Twain...

Thanks, very kindly, Bob. I have re-read those two fairly recently, and I have a feeling it is from Life on the Mississippi or another story, but was wondering if any experts out there remember its exact location.