1. wataly

Cool Boring English Teachers!

Hello Everyone!

I have a very important question to ask.

I've worked with so many teachers who students consider "boring".
    How can we prove what boring is?
    Do you think that some useful teaching techniques can actually change someone who is
    naturally more reserved person?

Can you suggest any teaching techniques that anyone can use even the more reserved teachers?

Please help me by posting answers~!

Thank you for your help in advance..

-dooheui byeon in LA

• Member Info
      • Native Language:
      • Telugu
      • Home Country:
      • India
      • Current Location:
      • India

Re: Boring English Teachers!

To save students from a boring a session:

The teacher should be absolutely clear about the principles, for which, thorough preparation is highly essential. All examples should be thought up before the session.

Real life example should be given.

Proceed to the next principle only when the first principle has been understood by all the students;

Give a lot of exercises and monitor how are completed.

• Member Info
      • Native Language:
      • English
      • Home Country:
      • United States
      • Current Location:
      • United States

To be honest, almost every student finds school in general boring at one time or another. The perfect teacher in their world would let them sit and play Xbox for an hour. Teachers should try to do their best to make education interesting, but the bottom line is school is for learning, not entertainment. These same students are going to have to find jobs in the real world eventually and will be confronted with boring tasks and bosses regularly. Schooling is a way to get them used to following a routine and paying attention when they really don't want to.

• Member Info
      • Native Language:
      • English
      • Home Country:
      • United States
      • Current Location:
      • United States

Quote Originally Posted by wataly View Post
    Hello, Everyone!

I have a very important question to ask.

I've worked with xx many teachers whom students consider "boring." How can we prove what boring is? Do you think that some useful teaching techniques can actually change someone who is a naturally more reserved person?

Can you suggest any teaching techniques that anyone can use, even the more reserved teachers?

Please help me by posting answers!

Thank you for your help in advance.

-dooheui byeon in LA
    Three questions back at you:

-What makes this question important?

-If you could prove someone is boring, what good would that do?

Fun is good, and school can be fun for some people, but the purpose of school is not fun. One purpose of school is to learn to stick to things, even when they are boring. It's called learning to apply yourself.

Your remark about "reserved teachers" implies that you think teachers should be entertainers. While some are, it's not part of the job description. If it were, very few people would become teachers.

So - count your blessings and buckle down!

• Member Info
      • Native Language:
      • British English
      • Home Country:
      • UK
      • Current Location:
      • Laos

Being reserved doesn't necessarily make someone boring. Activities might actually exacerbate the problem if the person didn't believe they would be beneficial. For example, I've always hated lessons involving songs and this sort of activity wouldn't jolly things up for me. Teaching techniques may well help, but I don't really think that problem can be solved by them alone as it doesn't address the causes of these responses. If this is, as you suggest, common, then new techniques without digging down for the reasons may be treating the symptoms rather than the malaise.

I've always hated lessons involving songs
    Singing teachers, dancing teachers, boring, boring, boring. I demand that you put on a red nose and wear oversize clown shoes too. You should write on the board, whilst juggling 3 balls, and doing a stand up comedy routine, at the same time.

You just can't get the quality of staff these days!

• Member Info
      • Native Language:
      • British English
      • Home Country:
      • UK
      • Current Location:
      • Laos

OK, I'll get my acoustic guitar.

• Member Info
      • Native Language:
      • English
      • Home Country:
      • Canada
      • Current Location:
      • Canada

I've been teaching since 1994, and have always been called "fun" and "the most interesting" or "best" teacher by my students. How have I earned this reputation? You need to lower your guard and use humour and let your personality shine through. There has to be a sense of play, or there is no learning. Play is the means by which we learn, from childhood even to adulthood, although it is merely a simulacrum of play in the adult.

As to your question of how to teach better: my advice to teachers not considered exciting enough is to use the Socratic method. Don't just deliver a one-way lecture. Ask questions, and lead your students by involving them. Let them think for themselves, and challenge them to find answers.

Also one thing to avoid: reading books full of information to the students, aloud. In many places this is considered normal teaching, but it is garbage. You must present the fundamentals of the topic in an unforgettable and understandable way, and give some examples... but never drone on and on with every page of a book. Be selective, and empathize with your students. If they're bored at all, change to another activity.

That's about it. And I've taught from Grade 1 to the M.A. level, so I mean what I say. Hope this can help someone.