Results 1 to 5 of 5
  1. Senior Member
    Student or Learner
    • Member Info
      • Native Language:
      • Arabic
      • Home Country:
      • Malaysia
      • Current Location:
      • Hong Kong

    • Join Date: Sep 2007
    • Posts: 823
    #1

    left

    Hi there,

    The mistakes in this essay were left uncorrected.

    Does the sentence mean that someone did not correct the mistakes deliberately or he/she simply forgot to do so?

    Tks
    pete

    • Member Info
      • Native Language:
      • English
      • Home Country:
      • Canada
      • Current Location:
      • Canada

    • Join Date: Apr 2007
    • Posts: 4,146
    #2

    Re: left

    Quote Originally Posted by peter123 View Post
    hi there,

    the mistakes in this essay were left uncorrected.

    Does the sentence mean that someone did not correct the mistakes deliberately or he/she simply forgot to do so?
    one cannot say why they were left uncorrected.

    but the presence of "were left" does suggest that the essay was read and the mistakes were noticed.

    tks
    pete
    2006

  2. Senior Member
    Student or Learner
    • Member Info
      • Native Language:
      • Arabic
      • Home Country:
      • Malaysia
      • Current Location:
      • Hong Kong

    • Join Date: Sep 2007
    • Posts: 823
    #3

    Re: left

    Hi there,
    So that sentence means someone noticed the mistakes but he/she deliberately left them there without correcting them. Am I right?
    Tks
    pete

    • Member Info
      • Native Language:
      • English
      • Home Country:
      • Canada
      • Current Location:
      • Canada

    • Join Date: Apr 2007
    • Posts: 4,146
    #4

    Re: left

    Quote Originally Posted by peter123 View Post
    Hi there,
    So that sentence means someone noticed the mistakes but he/she deliberately left them there without correcting them. Am I right?
    Tks
    pete
    I think it's hard to say for sure; both are possible.

  3. Charlie Bernstein's Avatar
    • Member Info
      • Native Language:
      • English
      • Home Country:
      • United States
      • Current Location:
      • United States

    • Join Date: Jan 2009
    • Posts: 3,555
    #5

    Re: left

    Quote Originally Posted by peter123 View Post
    Hi there,

    The mistakes in this essay were left uncorrected.

    Does the sentence mean that someone did not correct the mistakes deliberately or he/she simply forgot to do so?

    Tks
    pete
    We can't know from just that sentence whether they were left uncorrected on purpose. We just know they weren't corrected.

    It might help if you give us more to work with.

Similar Threads

  1. he left, he has left
    By joham in forum Ask a Teacher
    Replies: 8
    Last Post: 09-Dec-2009, 09:43
  2. On the left, to your left, to the left
    By Grablevskij in forum Ask a Teacher
    Replies: 1
    Last Post: 24-Sep-2008, 13:22
  3. left vs had left and the use of "when"
    By sara88 in forum Ask a Teacher
    Replies: 2
    Last Post: 20-Jun-2008, 20:04
  4. I´ve got left/ has left to me?
    By sambistapt in forum Ask a Teacher
    Replies: 12
    Last Post: 24-May-2008, 23:30
  5. left or have left?
    By victor su in forum Ask a Teacher
    Replies: 5
    Last Post: 19-Dec-2006, 17:26

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •