• Native Language:
      • Arabic
      • Home Country:
      • Egypt
      • Current Location:
      • Egypt

Arrow a

In the name of the Merciful Allah,
    Hi, when I refer to something as it relieves a distress; saying : "That's relief". Should I add the indefinite article " a", and say "That's a relief"? Many thanks in advance.
    Plus, I've noticed that in case of replacing the noun, in such an example, by an adjective, we put the indefinite article, why so?
    Last edited by Egyption Arrow; 22-Mar-2009 at 14:41.

• Member Info
      • Native Language:
      • English
      • Home Country:
      • Canada
      • Current Location:
      • Canada

Re: a

Quote Originally Posted by Egyption Arrow View Post
    In the name of the Merciful Allah,
    Hi, when I refer to something as it relieves a distress; saying : "That's relief". Should I add the indefinite article " a", and say "That's a relief"? Many thanks in advance.
    Plus, I've noticed that in case of replacing the noun, in such an example, by an adjective, we put the indefinite article, why so?
    You should add the definite article. We use it in such cases because there can be many sources of such relief, of which we have seen just one manifestation, "a relief." Sometimes the word "one" is used, when we wish to stress that others are possible: "That's one solution." We use the definite article only when we feel there is only one solution, no others: "That's the answer."

• Member Info
      • Native Language:
      • Arabic
      • Home Country:
      • Egypt
      • Current Location:
      • Egypt

Re: a

The fifth word in your reply, you mean indefinite, right? Also, is there any possibilty to say the example as mentioned earlier; that's relief, without any adjective, nor any article, definite or not?
    Last edited by Egyption Arrow; 22-Mar-2009 at 15:42.