marked for consciousness

What does exactly mean "marked for consciousness" in this phrase:

"Therefore, in order for meter to exist, some of the pulses in a series must be accented - marked for consciousness - relative to others."

• Member Info
      • Native Language:
      • English
      • Home Country:
      • UK
      • Current Location:
      • UK

Re: marked for consciousness

Quote Originally Posted by Moreira View Post
    What does exactly mean "marked for consciousness" in this phrase:

"Therefore, in order for meter to exist, some of the pulses in a series must be accented - marked for consciousness - relative to others."
    It's not a phrase I've met. "Consciousness" - in that context - seems to mean 'ability to be perceived as different' (but that guess is based on an interpretation of the rest of the sentence, rather than on a meaning I've ever met). If the dashes/grammar are interpreted normally, you should be able to make sense of it without the parenthetical phrase. And that's what I'd do, unless I felt like trawling through dictionaries... (Possibly the writer meant 'marked for the ability for people to be conscious of something'; but if so, it's a rather inelegant and unclear way of saying it - to such an extent that the sentence would be clearer without the parenthesis. Perhaps the writer was trying to make a mark for him/herself in the academic world by inventing a meaningless and badly-expressed piece of jargon. )

b

Is it possible fr one to say, instead:

"Therefore, in order for meter to exist, some of the pulses in a series must be accented - mainly by consciousness - relative to others."

The quote is from 'The Rhythmic Structure of Music' by Cooper nad Meyer, and I think that by 'pulses' they mean 'beats' in music.

'In order for meter to exist' you need to have repetitive pattern of strong and weak beats, i.e. a series of strong and weak beats; some of the must be accented = made louder ('marked for consciousness'), therefore possible for listeners to be differentiated from the quieter ones.

Well, that's how I understand it.

M.

• Member Info
      • Native Language:
      • English
      • Home Country:
      • UK
      • Current Location:
      • UK

Quote Originally Posted by mad1982 View Post
    The quote is from 'The Rhythmic Structure of Music' by Cooper nad Meyer, and I think that by 'pulses' they mean 'beats' in music.

'In order for meter to exist' you need to have repetitive pattern of strong and weak beats, i.e. a series of strong and weak beats; some of the must be accented = made louder ('marked for consciousness'), therefore possible for listeners to be differentiated from the quieter ones.

Well, that's how I understand it.

M.
    That's how I understand it too. That doesn't make it a good piece of writing.
    The suffix -ness doesn't work they way they want it to. "Consciousness" doesn't mean 'ability to be been_conscious_of'*

b

*That is, someone (S) is conscious of a pulse (P). S has consciousness of P. P doesn't have consciousness of anything. P is both inanimate and abstract, and so can't be conscious by definition.
    Last edited by BobK; 23-Mar-2009 at 12:14. Reason: Added clarification

• Member Info
      • Native Language:
      • English
      • Home Country:
      • United States
      • Current Location:
      • United States

Quote Originally Posted by BobK View Post
    That's how I understand it too. That doesn't make it a good piece of writing.
    ...unless it's music terminology. I'm an amateur musician, and I've never heard it. I'll go to my music forum and see if anyone there knows it. Stay tuned....