• Native Language:
      • Chinese
      • Home Country:
      • China
      • Current Location:
      • China

cultivate

Hi, everyone.
    Please help me with the sentence "Higher education aims at cultivating graduates required by our society.", which is taken from a writing book compiled by non-native speakers. Please tell me whether it reads well. If not, then how should we improve it to make it idiomatic? I feel that it is a literal translation from Chinese and have tried hard to improve it, but I have failed in this effort. I have thought of the revisions of "Higher education aims at helping students develop into graduates with skills required for their future jobs." and "Higher education aims to help students cultivate skilled required by our society." but I'm afraid they are constructed according to logic and may be totally different from the way native speakers put it.
    Please help me out. Thanks.
    Richard

Re: cultivate

A person may 'cultivate an air of indifference'; but when used in terms of education of the population of a country, it sounds like 'the system' is just producing fodder for the machinery of commerce; or obedient puppets of the State toeing the party line.

Your translation is better:

"Higher education aims at helping students develop into graduates with the skills required for their future jobs."

Another possibility for 'jobs', is 'careers'.

• Member Info
      • Native Language:
      • Chinese
      • Home Country:
      • China
      • Current Location:
      • China

Quote Originally Posted by David L. View Post
    A person may 'cultivate an air of indifference'; but when used in terms of education of the population of a country, it sounds like 'the system' is just producing fodder for the machinery of commerce; or obedient puppets of the State toeing the party line.

Your translation is better:

"Higher education aims at helping students develop into graduates with the skills required for their future jobs."

Another possibility for 'jobs', is 'careers'.
    Thanks, David L. I often get confused about how to express ideas in English in a better way, but often fail to get an answer. How fortunate I am to be able to get help from you and other members of this forum. I know I must also read extensively.
    Thanks again.
    Richard

Well, your version is much better than the one by the person who is writing a book! So- be proud of how well you are doing with learning the language!

• Member Info
      • Native Language:
      • Chinese
      • Home Country:
      • China
      • Current Location:
      • China

Quote Originally Posted by David L. View Post
    Well, your version is much better than the one by the person who is writing a book! So- be proud of how well you are doing with learning the language!
    Thanks for your kind words, David L.