• Native Language:
      • Armenian
      • Home Country:
      • Iran
      • Current Location:
      • United States

for/from/on behalf of

Which are correct:

1-She sent me a birthday card on behalf of her family (ie. herself, her husband and her two children).
    2-She sent me a birthday card on behalf of herself and her family (ie. her husband and her two children).

3-She sent me a birthday card for her family (ie. herself, her husband and her two children).
    4-She sent me a birthday card for herself and her family (ie. her husband and her two children).

5-She sent me a birthday card from her family (ie. herself, her husband and her two children).
    6-She sent me a birthday card from herself and her family (ie. her husband and her two children).

7-She sent me a birthday card signed by her family (ie. herself, her husband and her two children).
    8-She sent me a birthday card signed by herself and her family (ie her husband and her two children).

• Member Info
      • Native Language:
      • American English
      • Home Country:
      • United States
      • Current Location:
      • United States

Re: for/from/on behalf of

Dear navi tasan:

Quote Originally Posted by navi tasan View Post
    Which are correct:

1-She sent me a birthday card on behalf of her family (ie. herself, her husband and her two children).
    2-She sent me a birthday card on behalf of herself and her family (ie. her husband and her two children).

'On behalf of' = 'as a representative of'. So, strictly speaking, the first sentence means that the card is from everyone in the family except her, but most people would understand it to mean the whole family, including her.
    'On behalf of herself...' clearly includes her in the bestowing of birthday wishes.

3-She sent me a birthday card for her family (ie. herself, her husband and her two children).
    4-She sent me a birthday card for herself and her family (ie. her husband and her two children).

If you use for, it means she wants you to pass it on to her family. She wrote it to be delivered to her family. It is for them.

5-She sent me a birthday card from her family (ie. herself, her husband and her two children).
    6-She sent me a birthday card from herself and her family (ie. her husband and her two children).

Although most people would understand either sentence, it's an awkward construction.
    The first sentence, narrowly interpreted, means, 'Her family sent your birthday card to her, and she is sending it on to you.'
    The second sentence doesn't work, because it is redundant. If 'she' sent the card, we already know it is from her.

7-She sent me a birthday card signed by her family (ie. herself, her husband and her two children).
    8-She sent me a birthday card signed by herself and her family (ie her husband and her two children).

These sentences are okay, but they seem strange, because they focus on the signing of the card, rather than its substance. They have an odd, impersonal sound.
    I hope this is helpful,

Petra

• Member Info
      • Native Language:
      • English
      • Home Country:
      • Canada
      • Current Location:
      • Canada

Re: for/from/on behalf of

They all sound 100% correct to me.