Kids against bullying...a friend needs my help but Im going out of town...PLEASE HELP

Extra comments: She wants to send this to the School Chancellor and to her Assembly person. see below

For too long, at PS/MS 37 in the Bronx, middle-grade students have led a particularly unacceptable level of bullying towards my daughter Caleen Perez who is currently enrolled in the 6th grade. including but not limited to physical violence, stalking, harassing, verbal and AOL Instant Messaging threats; the actual messages were never retrieved but a number of students came clean, taunts and teasing; exclusion from peer groups designed to humiliate or isolate, making derogatory jokes, and aggressive or menacing gestures. The most recent incident happened in school as Carleen was headed to her next class, approximately 9:40am on Monday, March 16, 2009; Justin Rivera pushed Carleen into Jovanna Green -- it turned into a riot! Carleen’s glasses were stepped on; her tooth flew out of her mouth. After further investigating and questioning it was brought to my attention, that this was planned over the weekend, apparently they were sending Carleen AIM messages. As a result, Jovanna Green was arrested the next day at the school. The inescapable conclusion is that students at PS/MS 37 orchestrated a campaign against Carleen which culminated in incessant harassment by Aganay Wilcox, Antoinay Jones, Jovanna Green, Shanell Newborn and Charlotte Dalton, recently two boys Justin Rivera and Kaine Caldwell have begun to take part as well, all of whom are in the 7th grade with the exception of Shanell who is in the 8th grade.

• Member Info
      • Native Language:
      • English
      • Home Country:
      • United States
      • Current Location:
      • United States

Re: Kids against bullying...a friend needs my help but Im going out of town...PLEASE

Extra comments: She wants to send this to the School Chancellor and to her Assembly person. see below

(Changes/corrections have been made in purple.)
    For too long, at PS/MS 37 in the Bronx, middle-grade students have participated in a particularly unacceptable level of bullying towards my daughter, Caleen Perez, who is currently enrolled in the 6th grade. This bullying includes but is not limited to physical violence, stalking, harassing, verbal and AOL Instant Messaging threats. (NOTE: the actual messages were never retrieved, but a number of students have admitted to sending them.) In addition, Caleen has been subjected to taunts and teasing, exclusion from peer groups (resulting in feelings of humiliation and isolation), derogatory jokes, and aggressive or menacing gestures.

The most recent incident occured in school as Carleen was headed to her next class at approximately 9:40AM on Monday, March 16, 2009. A student named Justin Rivera pushed Carleen into another student, Jovanna Green. This altercation escalated into an outright brawl. Carleen’s glasses were stepped on and broken and one of her teeth was knocked out of her mouth. After this incident was brought to my attention, I investigated further and discovered that this attack had been planned over the previous weekend. The perpetrators had apparently sent Carleen threatening AIM messages. As a result, Jovanna Green was arrested the next day at the school.

The inescapable conclusion is that students at PS/MS 37 orchestrated a campaign against Carleen which culminated in incessant harassment by Aganay Wilcox, Antoinay Jones, Jovanna Green, Shanell Newborn and Charlotte Dalton. Recently two boys Justin Rivera and Kaine Caldwell have begun to take part as well, all of whom are in the 7th grade (with the exception of Shanell, who is in the 8th grade).

NOTE: The sender of this letter should also conclude with a paragraph stating exactly what type of action she expects from the school/city authorities.

Re: Kids against bullying...a friend needs my help but Im going out of town...PLEASE

Great Job! thank you so much...Your version flows much better...sorry but I left out the last paragraph. Here is the whole letter with your modifications. I will tell her to include the action as you requested. Do you think her adding that she is a single parent might gain her more sympathy?

For too long, at PS/MS 37 in the Bronx, middle-grade students have participated in a particularly unacceptable level of bullying towards my daughter, Caleen Perez, who is currently enrolled in the 6th grade. This bullying includes but is not limited to physical violence, stalking, harassing, verbal and AOL Instant Messaging threats. The actual messages were never retrieved, but a number of students have admitted to sending them. In addition, Caleen has been subjected to taunts and teasing, exclusion from peer groups resulting in feelings of humiliation and isolation, derogatory jokes, and aggressive or menacing gestures. The most recent incident occured in school as Carleen was headed to her next class at approximately 9:40AM on Monday, March 16, 2009. A student named Justin Rivera pushed Carleen into another student, Jovanna Green. This altercation escalated into an outright brawl. Carleen’s glasses were stepped on and broken and one of her teeth was knocked out of her mouth. After this incident was brought to my attention, I investigated further and discovered that this attack had been planned over the previous weekend. The perpetrators had apparently sent Carleen threatening AIM messages. As a result, Jovanna Green was arrested the next day at the school. The inescapable conclusion is that students at PS/MS 37 orchestrated a campaign against Carleen which culminated in incessant harassment by Aganay Wilcox, Antoinay Jones, Jovanna Green, Shanell Newborn and Charlotte Dalton. Recently two boys Justin Rivera and Kaine Caldwell have begun to take part as well, all of whom are in the 7th grade with the exception of Shanell, who is in the 8th grade.

I have met with the following school staff to iron out the harassment: Principal, Mr. Kenneth Pettrotonie, Assistant Principal, Mr. John Wagner, Assistant Principal, Ms. Effie Niggerian, and Dean, Mr. Larry Geffner, and with the parents of the offenders on numerous occasions, however the bullying still continues, and no real measure of disciplinary action has taken place. In order to better serve the needs of PS/MS 37 students, educators and school staff need to be able to identify and understand the consequential effects of bullying in order to intervene effectively. Likewise, students and educators should aim to collaborate on bullying prevention efforts to better meet the needs of both groups and the school as a whole.

• Member Info
      • Native Language:
      • English
      • Home Country:
      • United States
      • Current Location:
      • United States

Quote Originally Posted by Andie1199 View Post
    Do you think her adding that she is a single parent might gain her more sympathy?

Probably not. Single parents are very common today. But it can't hurt to mention it.
    I have met with the following school staff to iron out the harassment: Principal, Kenneth Pettrotonie, Assistant Principal, John Wagner, Assistant Principal, Effie Niggerian, and Dean, Larry Geffner, along with the parents of the offenders on numerous occasions, however the bullying still continues, and no real measure of disciplinary action has taken place. In order to better serve the needs of PS/MS 37 students, I feel that educators and school staff need to be able to identify and understand the consequential effects of bullying in order to intervene effectively. Likewise, students and educators should aim to collaborate on bullying prevention efforts to better meet the needs of both groups and the school as a whole.

Thank you for your support and help!