• Native Language:
      • Chinese
      • Home Country:
      • China
      • Current Location:
      • China

love or like

Hi, everyone.
    This afternoon my colleagues and I sat in on a lesson by a British female teacher working in our department. During the class and the discussion of the class, she emphasized that Chinese learners tend to use "like"­ where actually the more passionate word "love"­ should be used instead. For example, she said that we should say "I love French food." , rather than "I like French food." ; we should say "I love Jazz." instead of "I like Jazz." And she said this is the way native speakers talk about their likes and favorites. Is what this lady said true? Many times we non-native speakers find it hard to get clear about the subtle difference between such synonyms.
    Thanks.
    Richard

Re: love or like

One could say, "I like Italian and Indonesian food."
    That is stating this as a fact.
    To show how much, with enthusiasm and being 'passionate', we say things such as, "I love Chinese food", "I just love the Italian countryside", "I love cold mornings - so invigorating." etc., putting stress on the 'love'.

• Member Info
      • Native Language:
      • English
      • Home Country:
      • Canada
      • Current Location:
      • Canada

So she is probably correct, in that the Chinese students are hesitant to use the word love, which they associate with 爱, "ai" a very strong and intimate word which is not commonly used, similar to "in love with." In colloquial English, we love to exaggerate, so I love Paris and I love jazz are common.

• Member Info
      • Native Language:
      • Chinese
      • Home Country:
      • China
      • Current Location:
      • China

Quote Originally Posted by konungursvia View Post
    So she is probably correct, in that the Chinese students are hesitant to use the word love, which they associate with 爱, "ai" a very strong and intimate word which is not commonly used, similar to "in love with." In colloquial English, we love to exaggerate, so I love Paris and I love jazz are common.
    I marvel at your knowledge! You read Chinese?! Your reasoning makes sense!
    You may take the following as a joke:
    Our boss 爱 lose his temper. (= Our boss loses his temper too easily.)
    The 爱 in the above sentence is not an intimate word.
    And present-day Chinese youngsters (I'm not one of them) tend to say in a joking manner "I 爱 死(death)you." to their peers on campus or their net friends and it does not necessarily mean that the speaker really loves the listener very much.
    Back to your reply, I am really quite surprised at your understanding of Chinese. How long have you learned Chinese?
    Last edited by ohmyrichard; 25-Mar-2009 at 12:08.

• Member Info
      • Native Language:
      • English
      • Home Country:
      • Canada
      • Current Location:
      • Canada

Lots of Westerners are interested in Chinese. I've been an amateur of it for ten years or so, without much progress I admit.

• Member Info
      • Native Language:
      • Chinese
      • Home Country:
      • China
      • Current Location:
      • China

Quote Originally Posted by konungursvia View Post
    Lots of Westerners are interested in Chinese. I've been an amateur of it for ten years or so, without much progress I admit.
    Your understanding of Chinese is superb.

• Member Info
      • Native Language:
      • German
      • Home Country:
      • Germany
      • Current Location:
      • Canada

I find that the word "love" is greatly overused, but then, I'm old enough to have a 44 year old daughter!

I really like French food, I prefer French food, I find French food really tasty etc. etc. is more the way that I speak.

I am not a teacher.

• Member Info
      • Native Language:
      • Chinese
      • Home Country:
      • China
      • Current Location:
      • China

Quote Originally Posted by Searching for language View Post
    I find that the word "love" is greatly overused, but then, I'm old enough to have a 44 year old daughter!

I really like French food, I prefer French food, I find French food really tasty etc. etc. is more the way that I speak.

I am not a teacher.
    Perhaps the female teacher whose class I witnessed drew too heavily on her personal experience. I remember she said she noticed that Chinese learners of English like to use "like" where "love" should have been used instead and the use of "love" easily betrays the speaker's Chinese origin. Perhaps she committed the mistake of overgeneralization. Now I will no longer feel fettered by this teacher's doctrine.
    Thanks.