• Kurdish
      • Home Country:
      • Syria
      • Current Location:
      • Syria

• Post Thanks / Like

Modal verbs

Dear teachers and everyone on the board
    I always suffer from Modal verbs ( must - mustn't - should - shouldn't - can - can't - have to - don't have to )
    I have these questions to be answered. I am going to give my answers but I am not sure. Would you please help me with them

1- You .................... shout at me! I can hear you very well. don't have to
    2-I am afraid you .................. take all your toys with you, girls. The car is too small. can't ( Shouldn't may also be correct?)
    3- You .................. get a visa to visit London. but I don't think it's expensive.
    have to
    4- Can't you see the sign, young man ? You ................. drive so fast on this road! It's forbidden! can't

Thanks in advance

• Post Thanks / Like

Re: Modal verbs

1- You need not/do not need to shout at me! I can hear you very well.
    2-I am afraid you can't take all your toys with you, girls. The car is too small. -- "should" does not work here

3- You have to/ need to/must get a visa to visit London. but I don't think it's expensive.
    must: to force to a course of action in order to fulfill some need, like: We must hurry if we're to arrive on time

4- Can't you see the sign, young man ? You are not supposed to/must not/should not ('must' is stronger than 'should') drive so fast on this road! It's forbidden! In an exam, I would mark only "must not" as correct.

Do not worry, even educated natives struggle with modals. It is a minefield.

Edit:
    An idiom for today that has just crossed my mind:
    http://dictionary.cambridge.org/defi...od*20+0&dict=I

• Post Thanks / Like

Re: Modal verbs

3- You have to/ need to/must get a visa to visit London. but I don't think it's expensive.
    must: to force to a course of action in order to fulfill some need, like: We must hurry if we're to arrive on time

Only 'have to' and 'need to' are appropriate here.
    You might "'must' pick up your dry cleaning'" or "must hurry" so as not to be late, but you 'have to' get a visa.