• Korean
      • Home Country:
      • South Korea
      • Current Location:
      • South Korea

Smile Ricky Retardo, Retardo Montobon

Hello.
    I've read these sentences below.
    (They are from the novel <Stuck in Neutral> by Terry Trueman.
    In this situation, two guys were waiting for the bus at the bus stop and they said to a boy sitting in his wheelchair (The boy is a retard and can't speak.) )

"Hey, Ricky Retardo? Where's the bus? said the other voice.
    "Yeah," the first voice laughed, "Retardo Montobon, where's that streetcar named desire?" They both laughed. I'd have laughed too if I could. I thought their references were pretty witty.

It seems like these two guys are making a joke. I'm wondering what relation between Ricky Retardo and Retardo Montobon. I can't exactly understand why their reference are pretty witty. Please help!!!

Re: Ricky Retardo, Retardo Montobon

The two names are variations of the names of two 'people'. One is a character in a famous TV show called I Love Lucy, where there is a character called Ricky Ricardo. So - Ricky Ricardo/Retardo is their rhyming, 'humourous' way of poking fun at the boy. The second is a hollywood actor, Ricardo Montalban, which becomes Retardo Montalban.

There is another reference to the movies, in "where's that streetcar named desire?". They are waiting for a bus; and it is an allusion to a famous movie called Streetcar Named Desire.

• Member Info
      • Native Language:
      • English
      • Home Country:
      • United States
      • Current Location:
      • United States

Quote Originally Posted by frindle View Post
    (The boy is a retard and can't speak.) )
    By the way, using "retard" to describe an intellectually challenged person is considered to be very offensive in many places (the U.S. is one). See this link for further information.

• Member Info
      • Native Language:
      • English
      • Home Country:
      • United States
      • Current Location:
      • United States

Quote Originally Posted by Ouisch View Post
    By the way, using "retard" to describe an intellectually challenged person is considered to be very offensive in many places (the U.S. is one). See this link for further information.
    Right. Very Saturday Night Live. My office manager would say ROFLMAO. Different strokes for different folks....

=O.

• Member Info
      • Native Language:
      • English
      • Home Country:
      • United States
      • Current Location:
      • United States

Quote Originally Posted by Charlie Bernstein View Post
    Right. Very Saturday Night Live. My office manager would say ROFLMAO. Different strokes for different folks....

=O.
    Having respect for the handicapped is very Saturday Night Live? I hope your office manager never has a less-than-perfect child...I can just picture him rolling his/her cerebral palsied son/daughter into the office and inviting his staff to laugh at the "crip".....