Is the sentence correct?

Hi,there

Please look at the sentence below:

What client wants to spend an evening at the theatre listening to you whisper half-yearly sales figures into his ear,no matter however you may think they are?

I think it is a compound sentence.However,I don't think the main sentence is grammatically correct,because 'you whisper' is wrongly used here.Actually,I am confused by the structure of the sentence.
    I suggest using 'your whispering' instead of 'you whisper' ,and then the sentence is right.Am I right?

Could someone give me some help?
    Thanks.

Re: Is the sentence correct?

Take the first part of the sentence:

What client wants to spend an evening at the theatre listening to you. He went to listen to the opera/play/concert.

Can you see that the focus is on whether the client has to listen to the person, or can listen to what's happening on stage. What the person is doing that is the distraction, is irrelevant, whether he is whispering, talking, humming, snoring or whatever.

So - the full sentence might be:
    What client wants to spend an evening at the theatre listening to you while you whisper half-yearly sales figures into his ear, no matter whoever you may think they are? (bit of a typo with "however/whoever' I think).

If you write:
    What client wants to spend an evening at the theatre listening to your whispering half-yearly sales figures into his ear, no matter whoever you may think they are?

Here, the focus has shifted to the actual action and the 'whispering about sales figures'. Maybe if he had been whispering humourous, derogatory remarks about a really bad show instead of business, then the speaker might not have objected to the 'whispering', and thought that he had saved the client from a boring evening at the theatre with his humour.

NOTE: What about this?
    What client wants to spend an evening at the theatre listening to you whispering half-yearly sales figures into his ear, no matter whoever you may think they are?
    Here, the focus remains on the contrast between 'you' and 'what's happening on stage'. The mistake people make is that whenever there is a 'to+pronoun+ -ing past participle' that the pronoun has to be in the possessive - or failing to use the possessive when it is actually required:

He objected to my whispering during the performance.

The objection was not to 'me' as a person, but what I was doing, the 'whispering'.
    Last edited by David L.; 26-Mar-2009 at 10:55.

Re: Is the sentence correct?

Quote Originally Posted by David L. View Post
    So - the full sentence might be:
    What client wants to spend an evening at the theatre listening to you while you whisper half-yearly sales figures into his ear, no matter whoever you may think they are? (bit of a typo with "however/whoever' I think).

Sorry to mislead you just now.Actually,I omitted 'exciting' after 'however' just now. Actuaclly,The sentence is adapted from an article Training to be entertaining and making it pay from the book PASS CAMBRIDGE BEC VANTAGE STUDENT BOOK,which is published by Summertown Pulishing.

//Here below is the whole original paragraph:

A further difficulty lies in deciding exactly when you bring up the matter of business at a social event.Some people simply have poor timing.What client wants to spend an evening at the theatre listening to you whisper half-yearly sales figures into his ear, no matter how exciting you may think they are? //

Your explanation is helpful.However,I don't think I can fully understand your reply(due to my limited comprehension).

1.What client wants to spend an evening at the theatre listening to your whispering half-yearly sales figures into his ear, no matter whoever you may think they are?

2.What client wants to spend an evening at the theatre listening to you whispering half-yearly sales figures into his ear, no matter whoever you may think they are?

In you opinion,are both (1) and (2) correct?If so,what is the difference?Could you expain that again?

Thanks a lot.
    Last edited by sws1234; 26-Mar-2009 at 15:27.