• Native Language:
      • German
      • Home Country:
      • Germany
      • Current Location:
      • Sweden

jump further off it.

Hi

A singer says: They didn't want me to be in the studio with them. Without me they could really get on with the music. And when I came back to the studio there would be more inspiring stuff to hear, which would mean I could jump much further off it.

I understand it means that the other members of the band didn't need him to be in the studio all the time and he felt he didn't have to be there with them (jump much further off) as they were getting on with everything themselves pretty well.

• Member Info
      • Native Language:
      • English
      • Home Country:
      • United States
      • Current Location:
      • United States

Re: jump further off it.

Quote Originally Posted by GUEST2008 View Post
    Hi

A singer says: They didn't want me to be in the studio with them. Without me they could really get on with the music. And when I came back to the studio there would be more inspiring stuff to hear, which would mean I could jump much further off it.

I understand it means that the other members of the band didn't need him to be in the studio all the time and he felt he didn't have to be there with them (jump much further off) as they were getting on with everything themselves pretty well.
    Yup. It also sounds like they were having a falling-out.

By the way, the writer should probably have said "farther," which refers to distance, rather than "further," which refers to degree. Though the sentence is not necessarily about physical distance, the word "jump" brings in a distance metaphor.

• Member Info
      • Native Language:
      • German
      • Home Country:
      • Germany
      • Current Location:
      • Sweden

Thank you Charlie!

He's/she's a singer. His/her part comes after the musicians have got the music, the orchestrations, the 'sound' just right. The singer doesn't need to be there while they do that. And then, when the singer does return,"there would be more inspiring stuff to hear" which would then inspire the singer. When it came time to lay down the vocal, she could really use the music as a springboard, so much so, she describes it as being able to 'jump off' the music - the idea of 'I was soaring' - rather than a flat, lifeless, humdrum performance of the lyric.
    Last edited by David L.; 26-Mar-2009 at 17:31.