Attachments Vs. Enclosure

• Thread starter Heather123
  • Start date
  • Views : 94,462
Status
Not open for further replies.
H

Heather123

I am foggy on the rules of noting an attachment vs. an enclosure in a letter. Is there a rule that says when to use one notation over the other or are the interchangable?

In addition, I know how to note an enclosure on a letter, but an attachment has not been defined and I have been told to do it like this (ATT: 1). Is this correct and should the placement be in the body of the text or at the bottom of the letter where the enclosure notation usually is?

Any help is much appreciated!

Heather

Anglika

No Longer With Us (RIP)
Member Type
Other
I was taught that if the material is referred to within the body of the letter, there was no need to restate the matter; Enc(s) following the signature block should be quite adequate.

Charlie Bernstein

VIP Member
Member Type
Other
Native Language
English
Home Country
United States
Current Location
United States
I am foggy on the rules of noting an attachment vs. an enclosure in a letter. Is there a rule that says when to use one notation over the other or are the interchangable?

They're the same thing. Except for legal documents, it's generally better not to list enclosures for its own sake. The reader will know it because - uh - it's enclosed.

When I get a job inquiry letter from someone who says, "My resume is enclosed," the applicant might just as well have said, "I think you're an idiot." Of course it's enclosed. It's in my hand. What else could I have thought it was: packing material?

(Just as annoying is "Please don't hesitate to call." Why does the writer - usually a stranger - assume that I'm too timid to call? Like "My resume is enclosed," it borders on insulting.)

It's fine to mention attachments if there's a legal or logistic reason for it or if you're commenting on them. For instance, it's fine to say: "To give you some idea of the scope of the problem, I've enclosed some photographs of the aftermath."

In addition, I know how to note an enclosure on a letter, but an attachment has not been defined and I have been told to do it like this (ATT: 1).

I see nothing wrong with spelling out "Attachment."

Is this correct and should the placement be in the body of the text or at the bottom of the letter where the enclosure notation usually is?

Some people include it in the text: "I've enclosed my resume, CV, and a recent review I'm particularly proud of." Others make a list below the letter:

Yours truly,
Gwyneth Paltrow

Enclosed:

-Resume
-Curriculum Vitae
-New York Times review of my smash Broadway debut

You can also use Attachments, Attached, or Enclosures. I don't like Attachments, because it sounds like emotional baggage: I expect to see a list of old sweethearts, beloved pets, and children who never write. I don't like Attached, because it sounds like it's going to be a list of ineligible bachelors. I don't like Enclosure, because it sounds like what happened to the farms of Ireland.

Any help is much appreciated!

Heather

Don't know if that gets at your question. Happy epistlating!

Last edited:

Charlie Bernstein

VIP Member
Member Type
Other
Native Language
English
Home Country
United States
Current Location
United States
I was taught that if the material is referred to within the body of the letter, there was no need to restate the matter; Enc(s) following the signature block should be quite adequate.

I agree.

=O]

SheIsReese

Member Type
Other
I work for a Federal agency and we follow very specific rules surrounding attachments and enclosures.

• Memorandums have enclosures
  • Letters have attachments
  • When referencing an enclosure or attachment it should look like this (enclosed) and (Attachment A or 1)
  • at the close of a letter/memo your reference should follow the signature box as such:
Enclosure(s)

or

Attachment(s):
1 or A - Attachment Name
2 or B - Attachment Name
3 or C - Attachment Name

Status
Not open for further replies.