Grammar question : Have come from , as ____

Hi,
    I'm having a bit of a 'brain drain' on this sentence, and I was hoping someone could help me out, and hopefully point me to an explaination as to why it is so. The sentence as follows:

"The assassin turns out to have come from another realm, as _____ an ally who comes to Jack's aid…"

Assuming that the sentence structure is to be kept this way without rephrasing, what would be the correct verb (?) that one would insert in blank? I've heard 'have' or 'does' given to me as answers, while I'm inclined to think it's the latter, I don't know how to explain it or what grammar rule would apply in this context. In case the sentence is confusing, it's supposed to imply that both the assassin and Jack's ally come from other realms.

Any help at all would be most appreciated! Thanks in advance!

Re: Grammar question : Have come from , as ____

Why would 'ally', in the singular, take a plural verb 'have'?

I presume you mean the correct conjugation of either 'to have' or 'to do'.

Only 'has' is appropriate.
    That's what you were 'inclined to' thinking. So - why is that correct?

Thanks for the quick reply! 'Has' makes sense to me, but could you explain why 'does' would not work in this context?

I'm not exactly sure how to clearly explain this, but the reason why I keep thinking it's 'does' is because 'does' seem to be of the same... action verb (?) category as 'to have come' (aka: 'to have come' implies a certain movement/action), whereas 'has' feels more like a static (?) verb that is similiar to 'is'... sorry if I'm not making much sense here, I'm quite confused, haha...

Thanks for your imput again!

Cheers,
    Tsu

I'm not having a couple of my better days.
    My thinking was being too influenced by that film (is it Terminator or RoboCop?) where an assassin from the future comes back to kill a pregnant woman Sarah something, but a cop or somebody also comes back from the future to stop him. But, now as I look at it, BOTH verbs are suitable.

What I first interpreted was that 'the assassin has come from another realm' to kill somebody (?Jack) as has an ally who comes to Jack's aid…" Use of the Present Perfect tense implies that the ally's coming is somehow connected with helping Jack.
    The use of 'did' implies that this ally may have come from another realm, but that was some time ago - what he was been doing since we don't know! - but that NOW, unconnected with his original reason for coming from another realm, he comes to Jack's aid. 'coming from another realm' and the fact that Jack needs help now are unrelated: it's just that, coincidentally, this ally did also come from another realm.
    Last edited by David L.; 27-Mar-2009 at 08:45.

That's great to know! Thanks a bunch David! :)