Please expand this sentence.

I think that this below sentence have some abbreviations in structure. Therefore I'm not sure what this sentence means ?
    Please expand it if it's so.
    In the late 1970s, when oil companies looking for new deposits developed technology to mine the floor of the ocean, thay made a surprising discovery - what was considered a dead zone was actually home to a thriving system of animals and plants.

One more question. For the sentence what was considered a dead zone was actually home to a thriving system of animals and plants, does it mean "For animals and plants, what was considered a dead zone was home" ?

Thanks in advance.

Re: Please expand this sentence.

Quote Originally Posted by mr.vi.et View Post

One more question. For the sentence what was considered a dead zone was actually home to a thriving system of animals and plants, does it mean "For animals and plants, what was considered a dead zone was home" ?

Thanks in advance.
    No - what to the scientists had looked barren and dead turned out to have thriving systems of living things.

Quote Originally Posted by Anglika View Post
    No - what to the scientists had looked barren and dead turned out to have thriving systems of living things.
    Thank you.
    Can you help me with the first question ? You can also clarify the sentence.
    Thanks in advance

Quote Originally Posted by mr.vi.et View Post
    In the late 1970s, when oil companies looking for new deposits developed technology to mine the floor of the ocean, thay made a surprising discovery - what was considered a dead zone was actually home to a thriving system of animals and plants.

In the late 1970s, oil companies were searching for new deposits. They developed technologies to mine the ocean floors and made a surprising discovery. Regions that they regarded as barren and dead in fact contained thriving systems of living organisms.

Quote Originally Posted by Anglika View Post
    In the late 1970s, oil companies were searching for new deposits. They developed technologies to mine the ocean floors and made a surprising discovery. Regions that they regarded as barren and dead in fact contained thriving systems of living organisms.
    Thank you. So they means deposits or oil companies.
    If it means companies, so is "when oil companies looking for new deposits" a noun phrase, refer oil compaies and its function is "looking for new deposits" ?
    I thinked that "when oil companies looking for new deposits" is abberiviation of "When oil companies that look for new deposits" ?
    So what is true ?

"when [the] oil companies [were/are] looking...."