• Native Language:
      • Spanish
      • Home Country:
      • Spain
      • Current Location:
      • Spain

Larger to see than...

Hi all,
    I am reading a book on economy and found the following sentence which is kind of tricky for my english:

Big bubbles are often larger to see than smaller ones – perhaps because so many more people are involved is something like the housing bubble.

I copy-pasted it so I made no spelling mistakes; if there is any, it was already there.I underlined «is» because I thought it was a mistake, but anyway, I am a little confused with the whole meaning.

Thank you in advance.
    Rgds

Re: Larger to see than...

Be careful of this book and whether the author knows what he's talking about. (Otherwise, the typing of his manuscript and proof reading are way off.)

Big bubbles are easier to see than smaller ones – perhaps because so many more people are involved is something like the housing bubble.

If I have a few acres of land, and a supermarket chain wants to build an outlet in my town and I own the land that is ideal for them, then I can negotiate for the highest figure I can get. Probably very, very few people with hear/know about this.
    OR (and it doesn't really work like this, because manufacturers make sure the workforce is there before they open a new plant), but imagine:
    A big new car factory opens up in a town, and a lot of people move there to get jobs. They need houses. Suddenly, the demand for properties goes up and so do the prices. This might get reported on the local news, but probably not the national news. It's a local issue, small localized bubble.

But when a lot of people in a country want to buy their first home, and this demand exceeds the supply of properties available, then the prices of properties goes up and up; new buyers complain about the exorbitant prices, particularly if they can't afford to buy their new home and are squeezed out of the market; and that makes for good news: it will hit the headlines and 6 o'clock TV news. The nation knows about. BIG bubble affecting the nation and the nation knows about it!

• Member Info
      • Native Language:
      • Spanish
      • Home Country:
      • Spain
      • Current Location:
      • Spain

Thank You for your reply, David.
    I kind of figured out the "larger to see" issue, but had some doubts (now solved as "easier")...
    But i am still a little confused with the second part of the sentence. Is there any punctuation missing? pretty weird for me that construction.
    Any thoughts on that?

• Member Info
      • Native Language:
      • English
      • Home Country:
      • Canada
      • Current Location:
      • Canada

There is clearly something wrong with the sentence.

My guess is that it should be 'Big bubbles are often harder to see than smaller ones, perhaps because so many more people are involved in something like the housing bubble.'
    "often easier to see" doesn't make sense.

If my guess is right, the sentence says that big bubbles are harder for the population as a whole to see because in a big bubble many people don't see the bubble because they are part of it.
    Figuratively speaking, many people can't see the bubble because they are inside it.

• Member Info
      • Native Language:
      • Spanish
      • Home Country:
      • Spain
      • Current Location:
      • Spain

Thank You 2006,
    so, in your view, "larger to see" may mean sort of "it takes more time to become aware of big bubbles...", right?

• Member Info
      • Native Language:
      • English
      • Home Country:
      • Canada
      • Current Location:
      • Canada

Quote Originally Posted by jiho View Post
    Thank You 2006,
    so, in your view, "larger to see" may mean sort of "it takes more time to become aware of big bubbles...", right?
    No, I don't know what "larger to see" is supposed to mean here. It doesn't make any sense to me. Are you sure you copied it correctly?

"harder to see" means it takes more time to become aware of.

• Member Info
      • Native Language:
      • Spanish
      • Home Country:
      • Spain
      • Current Location:
      • Spain

Yes, 2006, I copy-pasted it.
    The author attributes those words to Alan Greenspan, not literally though.
    I read some comments on Greenspan's opinnions (and excuses) and he is generally thought to have said many times that bubbles are harder to detect while they are at their beginning stages, which sounds pretty logical, but seems the opposite to your "harder to see" guess (if I get you right; if not, please excuse me).
    This specific opinnion is mentioned not as an excuse but as an example of Mr. Greenspan's reluctancy to be the killjoy while the going was good.
    Kind of "you guys stay cool, if the bubble gets that big, everyone will see it as more and more people would be involved"
    Does it make any sense to you? What do you think?
    I see the point in saying that when you are involved in that bubble, it can be harder admitting, or just realizing, you are; but I tend to think this is not the case.
    I'd really like to have your opinnion...

• Member Info
      • Native Language:
      • American English
      • Home Country:
      • United States
      • Current Location:
      • United States

I'm with 2006. You may have copied correctly what was there, but what was there was not correct. There is no way that "larger to see" is right.

It's harder to see because we're all part of it.
    Maybe even it was originally eaiser to see because it's so big and obvious.
    But it wasn't larger to see.