• Member Info
      • Native Language:
      • Korean
      • Home Country:
      • South Korea
      • Current Location:
      • South Korea

it or that

I am not sure if I can use ' that' instead of ' it' and ' this way' instead of ' that way in the following sentence. The book says only 'it' and ' that way' are correct, but I don't know the reason. Can you help me?

Paul and Ann decided to decorate the living room themselves as they thought it( that??) would be cheaper that way. ( this way)

Re: it or that

Quote Originally Posted by bosun View Post
    I am not sure if I can use ' that' instead of ' it' and ' this way' instead of ' that way in the following sentence. The book says only 'it' and ' that way' are correct, but I don't know the reason. Can you help me?

Paul and Ann decided to decorate the living room themselves as they thought it( that??) would be cheaper that way. ( this way)
    that = Ann and Paul's decorating the living room

that ... this
    'that' is used to refer to a person, object, idea, etc. which is separated from the speaker by space or time; "this" is not.

that ... that
    different referents for the same pronoun

it ... this
    it ... that

• Member Info
      • Native Language:
      • Korean
      • Home Country:
      • South Korea
      • Current Location:
      • South Korea

I am still confused. What do you mean exactly?

• Member Info
      • Native Language:
      • Indonesian
      • Home Country:
      • Indonesia
      • Current Location:
      • Indonesia

Quote Originally Posted by bosun View Post

when we talk about personal pronoun, we have to know where (noun) referes to. Here in your sentence it referes to the living room, while that is supposed they have another way.