Non-Finite verb

Hi!

My daughter a little upset after her English class at school. She is so sure that her teacher is wrong. She used a non finite verb i.e. because, in her story, and used at the beginning of a sentence.

Im not sure whether its correct to use "Because" at the beginning of a sentence, but she is adamant that she is right so said her previous primary teacher.

I just would like to confirm if the word "because" is a non finite verb and can it be use to begin a sentence. My daughter is so sure and said that without these non finite verb, when you write a story its not interesting.

Your advise on the above will not only teach me but also teach my daughter and confirm our doubts. Thank you.

Sumi

• Member Info
      • Native Language:
      • English
      • Home Country:
      • United States
      • Current Location:
      • United States

Re: Non-Finite verb

Because is not a non-finite verb; it is not any type of verb. It is a conjunction. Many style manuals (and teachers who were brought up on them) say that you should never begin a sentence with a conjunction (because, and, but, since, etc.). English writers, editors and proofreaders have been ignoring this "rule" for hundreds of years. As a teacher, I never correct this usage in my students' writing unless they overuse it.

I recommend that your daughter not argue with her teacher. That argument can't possibly have a favorable outcome.

• Member Info
      • Native Language:
      • British English
      • Home Country:
      • UK
      • Current Location:
      • Japan

Re: Non-Finite verb

Quote Originally Posted by mykwyner View Post
    Many style manuals (and teachers who were brought up on them) say that you should never begin a sentence with a conjunction (because, and, but, since, etc.).
    I think that this 'precept' needs a little clarification: the proscription against beginning a sentence with a conjunction applies to coordinating conjunctions (and, but, or, for) but not to subordinators (because, since, etc.), provided that the subordinate clause that they introduce is followed by a main clause. There is therefore a great difference between well-formed

Because he won the race, his supporters were delighted.

and the informal sentence fragment

(Why was that?) Because he won the race.