why use these sentence patterns

Dear Teachers,

I'm wondering why native speakers use the following sentence patterns and which part of the sentence do they want to emphasize.

1. Pseudo-cleft Sentences
    The jewels are hidden under the floor at 23 Robin Hood Road, Epping. ----> Under the floor at 23 Robin Hood Road is the place where the jewels are hidden.
    Mary works harder than anybody else in this organisation. ----> Mary is the person in this organisation who works harder than anybody else.

2 Inverted Sentences
    I have never seen such a pretty cat. ----> Never have I seen such a pretty cat.
    He didn't realize the importance of the problem until then. ----> Not until then did he realize the importance of the problem.
    An apple fell down. ----> Down fell the apple.
    His card was in my pocket. ----> In my pocket was his card.
    The train comes here. ----> Here comes the train.

Thank you in advance.

Enydia

Re: why use these sentence patterns

Quote Originally Posted by enydia View Post
    Dear Teachers,

I'm wondering why native speakers use the following sentence patterns and which part of the sentence do they want to emphasize.

Tom stole the money yesterday.
    It was Tom who stole the money yesterday.
    It was the money that Tom stole yesterday.
    It was yesterday that Tom stole the money.

In cleft sentences, the part of the sentence which is predicated is emphasised.

1. Pseudo-cleft Sentences
    The jewels are hidden under the floor at 23 Robin Hood Road, Epping. ----> Under the floor at 23 Robin Hood Road is the place where the jewels are hidden.
    Mary works harder than anybody else in this organisation. ----> Mary is the person in this organisation who works harder than anybody else.

The fronted part of the sentence is emphasised: 'under the floor at ...' and 'Mary'. The same holds good for the sentences below.

2 Inverted Sentences
    I have never seen such a pretty cat. ----> Never have I seen such a pretty cat.
    He didn't realize the importance of the problem until then. ----> Not until then did he realize the importance of the problem.
    An apple fell down. ----> Down fell the apple.
    His card was in my pocket. ----> In my pocket was his card.
    The train comes here. ----> Here comes the train.

Thank you in advance.

Enydia

Quote Originally Posted by Clark View Post
    Always the front part? What about the following sentences?

The place where the jewels are hidden is under the floor at 23 Robin Hood Road, Epping.
    The person who works harder than anybody else in this organisation is Mary.
    What I enjoyed most in the Ballet Frankfurt performance was the brilliant music.
    What happened was that their car broke down on the motorway so they didn't get to Jo's wedding on time.

Quote Originally Posted by enydia View Post
    Always the front part? What about the following sentences?

The place where the jewels are hidden is under the floor at 23 Robin Hood Road, Epping.
    The person who works harder than anybody else in this organisation is Mary.
    What I enjoyed most in the Ballet Frankfurt performance was the brilliant music. - a cleft sentence
    What happened was that their car broke down on the motorway so they didn't get to Jo's wedding on time.
    It is a disputable question whether all these sentences should be regarded as cleft ones. In my opinion, only the last two sentences have cleft structure. But here it will be 'many men, many minds'.

When I spoke about fronting certain sentence constituents I meant inversion. In your original post, p.2 contained sentences with emphatic inversion. In the sentences above the word order is direct.