• Native Language:
      • German
      • Home Country:
      • Germany
      • Current Location:
      • Sweden

would have been seeing ...

Hi

I suppose a watershed moment would have been seeing The Jam on Top of the Pops and realizing that actually not knowing how to play was not a problem.

1. Is the author of these words expressing his dislike to The Jam band?

2. Is he saying that if he saw The Jam taking part in Top of the Pops show it would be a turning point for him because it would mean that actually you do not need to know how to play to be great -just like The Jam, in his opinion?

• Member Info
      • Native Language:
      • English
      • Home Country:
      • UK
      • Current Location:
      • UK

Re: would have been seeing ...

Quote Originally Posted by GUEST2008 View Post
    Hi

I suppose a watershed moment would have been seeing The Jam on Top of the Pops and realizing that actually not knowing how to play was not a problem.

1. Is the author of these words expressing his dislike to The Jam band?

2. Is he saying that if he saw The Jam taking part in Top of the Pops show it would be a turning point for him because it would mean that actually you do not need to know how to play to be great -just like The Jam, in his opinion?
    More 2 than 1, but there's no 'if' about it. He did see The Jam on TOTP, and it was a watershed (turning point). The 'would have been' is not a conditional; he's speculating about an analysis of his experience - or, depending on the context - asserting a definite view.

b

• Member Info
      • Native Language:
      • German
      • Home Country:
      • Germany
      • Current Location:
      • Sweden

Hi Bob

Ok so he's saying something like: A watershed moment for me was when I saw The Jam on TOTP and then I realized that you really don't have to play well to take part in such a show.

Is the author of these words expressing some dislike towards The Jam? If he says that "not knowing how to play was not a problem" I suppose he's referring to The Jam???

• Member Info
      • Native Language:
      • English
      • Home Country:
      • UK
      • Current Location:
      • UK

No dislike at all. I think The Jam were among the more musically-literate of the punk bands, so it's not - I don't think - the best of examples, but maybe the speaker means that the 'watershed moment' was an edition of TOTP, and The Jam were just one oft the acts.

b