Finish each of the following sentences in such a way that it means exactly the same as the sentence printed before it.
No one .......in this club plays tennis as well as janet ...... better than Janet
6. I havenít seen that man here before.
Itís .......the first time i have seen that man....
7. The furniture was so expensive that I didnít buy it.
The furniture was too ...expensive for me to buy.......
8. The robbers made the bank manager hand over the money.
The bank manager ......was made to hand over the money...
9. He learned to drive when he was eighteen.
He has .........been driving since he was 18...............
10. She had never been so unhappy before.
She was unhappier ........than ..ever before......
Put in the correct prepositions or adverbs.
3. On his way to work he called __at_______ the floristís and ordered a dozen red roses.
5. I turned ___down______ (refused) the job because it was badly paid.
7. When the police questioned him he broke ___down______ and confessed.
10. The secretary was then called on to read the minutes.
Supply the correct form of the word in parentheses.
1. My car is much too __unreliable_______ to take on a long journey. (RELY)
2. He was too ___ashamed______ to tell his teacher about the stupid mistake. (SHAME)
3. To his great loss his wife died in __childbirth_______ when he was only 24 years old. (child)
4. I ___overslept______ this morning, and was late for school. (SLEEP)
5. A holiday in American can be __surprised_______ cheap. (SURPRISE) surprisingly
6. My grandfather ___overlives______ my grandmother by five years. (LIVE) outlived
7. _cartainty_______ about the companies future meant that few people wanted to invest money in it. (CERTAIN)v Uncertainty
Many __industrial_______ developed countries spend much money preventing environmental pollution. (INDUSTRY
8. The crowd showed its __unapprovable_______ by shouting insults at the players. (APPROVE) disapproval
9. The cost of ___carriage______ must be paid by the buyer. (CARRY)
10. This ____unreparable_____ faulty washing machine should be returned to the manufacturer. (REPAIR) irrepairable
These shoes are almost weared______ out. She should buy new ones. worn(WEAR
Not bad - most are correct.
Student or Learner