1. a clever girl

Please, can you help me

We need to choose modal verbs from these : can’t, can’t, ‘ll, ‘ll, must, might, shouldn’t, wouldn’t, won;t would have, must have, could have, could have, needn’t have)
    1. Ivan...... (won’t) Alexis be here by now& It’s gone four!
    2. 2. Yeah, she ......(must have) got held up somewhere.
    3. 3. But ... (might) she have phoned&
    4. 4. Well, you (can’t ) thought so.
    5. I mean, we’re only having this meeting for her benefit. If she doesn’t come soon, we ..... (wouldn’t) bothered.
    6. Quite, though I .... (shouldn’t) think what .... (could have) held her up. I ... (will ) ring her and see what’s going on. That’s funny, I ... (can’t) find her number. I ... (could have ) sworn I put it in my diary. It ..... (would be) be in here somewhere.
    7. Well, if you ask me, she ....(will) just be coming now, anywhere.
    8. Hang on. That .... (needn’t have) just be her now. I .... (must) go and check.

Re: Please, can you help me

There are two reasons why those in the forum will be reluctant to respond to your posting.
    The most important is, that you have not shown your attempt to answer the questions, so it seems like, "please do my homework for me." There's a website in France that will comply - for a fee - but not many of us here.

Also, some people, including myself, prefer that you register fully as a member, rather than be some fly-by-night who pops in, gets what they want, and vanishes. I for one don't consider myself a convenience store on an Interstate highway.

2. clever girl

David, but I did it. Check it please

We need to choose modal verbs from these : can’t, can’t, ‘ll, ‘ll, must, might, shouldn’t, wouldn’t, won;t would have, must have, could have, could have, needn’t have)
    1. Ivan...... Alexis be here by now& It’s gone four!
    Ivan.won’t Alexis be here by now& It’s gone four!
    2. . Yeah, she ...... got held up somewhere.
    Yeah, she must have got held up somewhere.
    3. But ... (might) she have phoned.
    But might she have phoned.
    4. Well, you....thought so.
    Well, you can’t thought so.
    5. I mean, we’re only having this meeting for her benefit. If she doesn’t come soon, we ..... bothered.
    I mean, we’re only having this meeting for her benefit. If she doesn’t come soon, we wouldn’t bothered.
    6. Quite, though I .... think what .... held her up. I ... ring her and see what’s going on. That’s funny, I ... find her number. I ... sworn I put it in my diary. It .....be in here somewhere.
    Quite, though I shouldn’t think what could have held her up. I will ring her and see what’s going on. That’s funny, I can’t find her number. I could have sworn I put it in my diary. It would be be in here somewhere.
    7. Well, if you ask me, she .... just be coming now, anywhere.
    8. Well, if you ask me, she will just be coming now, anywhere.
    9. Hang on. That .... just be her now. I .... go and check.
    Hang on. That needn’t have just be her now. I must go and check.

Re: David, but I did it. Check it please

Your original posting was:
    1. Ivan...... (won’t) Alexis be here by now& It’s gone four!
    2. 2. Yeah, she ......(must have) got held up somewhere.
    3. 3. But ... (might) she have phoned&
    4. 4. Well, you (can’t ) thought so.
    5. I mean, we’re only having this meeting for her benefit. If she doesn’t come soon, we ..... (wouldn’t) bothered.
    6. Quite, though I .... (shouldn’t) think what .... (could have) held her up. I ... (will ) ring her and see what’s going on. That’s funny, I ... (can’t) find her number. I ... (could have ) sworn I put it in my diary. It ..... (would be) be in here somewhere.
    7. Well, if you ask me, she ....(will) just be coming now, anywhere.
    8. Hang on. That .... (needn’t have) just be her now. I .... (must) go and check.

Your second makes your attempts much clearer.
    1. Ivan...... Alexis be here by now& It’s gone four!
    Ivan. won’t Alexis be here by now& It’s gone four!

Ivan, shouldn't Alexis be here by now? It's gone four!

2. . Yeah, she ...... got held up somewhere.
    Yeah, she must have got held up somewhere.

3. But ...she have phoned.
    But might she have phoned.

(To say, 'but might she have phoned?' is grammatically correct, but
    an odd thing to say at that point in the conversation, particular with the response then given in (4).
    But wouldn't she have phoned?

4. Well, you... thought so.
    Well, you can’t thought so.

Well, you would have thought so.

5. I mean, we’re only having this meeting for her benefit. If she doesn’t come soon, we ..... bothered.
    I mean, we’re only having this meeting for her benefit. If she doesn’t come soon, we wouldn’t bothered.

I mean, we’re only having this meeting for her benefit. If she doesn’t come soon, we needn't have bothered.

SOMEONE ELSE MIGHT LIKE TO HELP WITH THE OTHER HALF.
    6. Quite, though I .... think what .... held her up. I ... ring her and see what’s going on. That’s funny, I ... find her number. I ... sworn I put it in my diary. It .....be in here somewhere.
    Quite, though I shouldn’t think what could have held her up. I will ring her and see what’s going on. That’s funny, I can’t find her number. I could have sworn I put it in my diary. It would be be in here somewhere.
    7. Well, if you ask me, she .... just be coming now, anywhere.
    8. Well, if you ask me, she will just be coming now, anywhere.
    9. Hang on. That .... just be her now. I .... go and check.
    Hang on. That needn’t have just be her now. I must go and check.
    Last edited by David L.; 05-Apr-2009 at 12:10.