• Native Language:
      • Arabic
      • Home Country:
      • Egypt
      • Current Location:
      • Egypt

Arrow From across

In the name of the Merciful Allah,
    Hi there, from a book on toefl, here is this quote: "Type 10: Fill in a Table Questions: In this kind of item, you will be given a partially completed classification table based on information in the passage. Your job is to complete the table by clicking on correct answer choices and dragging them to their correct locations in the table. Fill in a Table items measure your ability to conceptualize and organize major ideas and other important information from across the passage and then to place them in appropriate categories. Please help me get the word across here".
    Also, I ask about the expression: focus of development" in this quote, related to the one stated before: Passages used with Fill in a Table items have more than one focus of development in that they include more than one point of view or perspective. What the authors mean by development here?
    in advance.

Last edited by Egyption Arrow; 06-Apr-2009 at 09:37.

• Member Info
      • Native Language:
      • Arabic
      • Home Country:
      • Egypt
      • Current Location:
      • Egypt

Re: From across

Is it that hard?!

Quote Originally Posted by Egyption Arrow View Post
    In the name of the Merciful Allah,
    Hi there, from a book on toefl, here is this quote: "Type 10: Fill in a Table Questions: In this kind of item, you will be given a partially completed classification table based on information in the passage. Your job is to complete the table by clicking on correct answer choices and dragging them to their correct locations in the table. Fill in a Table items measure your ability to conceptualize and organize major ideas and other important information from across the passage and then to place them in appropriate categories. Please help me get the word across here".

Also, I ask about the expression: focus of development" in this quote, related to the one stated before: Passages used with Fill in a Table items have more than one focus of development in that they include more than one point of view or perspective. What do the authors mean by development here? in advance.

"from across the whole passage" = taken from anywhere in the whole passage.

• Member Info
      • Native Language:
      • Arabic
      • Home Country:
      • Egypt
      • Current Location:
      • Egypt

According to your answer, it's alright to follow a preposition with another one directly. In this case, it is (from+across), whereas "across" here denotes "throughout" or " all over".
    Ok, but what about the other question? I can't understand this expression: "focus of development".
    By the way, it's a long time since I've had a reply from you.

According to your answer, it's alright to follow a preposition with another one directly. In this case, it is (from+across), whereas "across" here denotes "throughout" or " all over".
    Ok, but what about the other question? I can't understand this expression: "focus of development".
    By the way, it's a long time since I've had a reply from you.

In the name of the great Shakespeare,

I think that 'focuses of development' here means that the subject in question can be approached from different angles.

• Member Info
      • Native Language:
      • Arabic
      • Home Country:
      • Egypt
      • Current Location:
      • Egypt

Thanks for replying. But you restate what the quote already states. I don't need to know the general meaning, which is already obvious in the quote. I need a definition of the expression, especially the word " development". I can't see the relation between " development" and " passage".
    Any way, your reply made me understand why teachers don't reply this.

• Member Info
      • Native Language:
      • German
      • Home Country:
      • Germany
      • Current Location:
      • Germany

I don't think there is a better answer than Clark's to your question. Actually, there isn't a link between 'passage' and 'development'. In general, development means a progression from a simpler or lower to a more advanced form or stage.
    However, I guess that is not the answer you are looking for.
    Would you like to rephrase your question?
    Last edited by Snowcake; 06-Apr-2009 at 19:40.

• Member Info
      • Native Language:
      • Arabic
      • Home Country:
      • Egypt
      • Current Location:
      • Egypt

Let's start over. Here is our quote, involving the whole paragraph this time: Passages used with Fill in a Table items have more than one focus of development in that they include more than one point of view or perspective. Typical passages have the following types of organization: compare/contrast, problem/solution, cause/effect, alternative arguments (such as theories, hypotheses), and the like.
    After some effort of mine, I can see now that "focus" means the main or central point of something, as we say:
    I think he likes to be the focus of attention,or: The main focus of interest at the fashion show was ..... What remains so far is the word "development". I chose two definitions of the word for you to choose the most appropriate one for the context.
    1-
    expressing at greater length or in greater detail, 2- bringing (a product or idea, for example) into being

• Member Info
      • Native Language:
      • German
      • Home Country:
      • Germany
      • Current Location:
      • Germany

Let's start over. Here is our quote, involving the whole paragraph this time: Passages used with Fill in a Table items have more than one focus of development in that they include more than one point of view or perspective. Typical passages have the following types of organization: compare/contrast, problem/solution, cause/effect, alternative arguments (such as theories, hypotheses), and the like.
    After some effort of mine, I can see now that "focus" means the main or central point of something, as we say:
    I think he likes to be the focus of attention,or: The main focus of interest at the fashion show was ..... What remains so far is the word "development". I chose two definitions of the word for you to choose the most appropriate one for the context.
    1-
    expressing at greater length or in greater detail, 2- bringing (a product or idea, for example) into being
    I agree with you as regards 'focus'. Considering the two definitions of 'development' you suggested, I'd go for the second one, if anything. You mentioned the usual types of organization of passages, which show a typical thesis/antithesis-scheme. When it comes to different views or perspectives as pointed out in the sentence cited, you need to expand this typical scheme and go beyond it. I think the task here is to shift and extend the focus that normally only includes a (one) pair of opposites.
    Hence, you can develop (approach) your ideas, the solutions in different ways.
    Say, you wish to find out the problems. In doing so, you can also focus contrasts and similarities, cause and effect, or whatever. The crucial point is the extention of the normal focus in order to bring your ideas into being.

• Member Info
      • Native Language:
      • Arabic
      • Home Country:
      • Egypt
      • Current Location:
      • Egypt

Thank you so much, Snowcake. But I tend toward the meaning of " setting forth and clarifying the subject of passage in detail". That is, the presenting of the central idea of passage has more than one way.
    Last edited by Egyption Arrow; 08-Apr-2009 at 12:52.