Question sharpener vs pencil sharpener; brush vs paintbrush

Hi!

A. I gave my students a test - SCHOOL OBJECTS - (a word search puzzle) .
    I wonder whether I was wrong including "pencil box" and "sharpener" as I have found that "pencil case" and "pencil sharpener" are used more often (at least this is what I found - rather too late! - in dictionaries).
    Are the above-mentioned words, the ones that I used, still frequently used in BE?
    Do British children say"Could you give me your pencil sharpener?" or, given the classroom context, they would rather say "sharpener"?

B. Also, some time ago I asked them to match the words to the pictures and one of the words was "brush" and the illustration shows the object used by an artist for painting.
    My question is: was I wrong giving "brush" instead of "paintbrush"?
    Our English-Romanian and Romanian-English dictionaries give you only "brush" for the object used for painting.
    Can "brush" cover the meaning of "paintbrush" just as well, or should I be more specific and rewrite the test with "paintbrush"?

Thank you very much,
    angela

• Member Info
      • Native Language:
      • English
      • Home Country:
      • UK
      • Current Location:
      • UK

Re: sharpener vs pencil sharpener; brush vs paintbrush

Quote Originally Posted by tangelatm View Post
    Hi!

A. I gave my students a test - SCHOOL OBJECTS - (a word search puzzle) .
    I wonder whether I was wrong including "pencil box" and "sharpener" as I have found that "pencil case" and "pencil sharpener" are used more often (at least this is what I found - rather too late! - in dictionaries).
    Are the above-mentioned words, the ones that I used, still frequently used in BE?
    I had a pencil box 50 years ago. Today, cases (usually zipped and transparent - to meet exam regulations) are more common.

Do British children say"Could you give me your pencil sharpener?" or, given the classroom context, they would rather say "sharpener"?
    If the context makes the specific meaning obvious, the generic term would be sufficient. But the full version is not 'wrong'.

B. Also, some time ago I asked them to match the words to the pictures and one of the words was "brush" and the illustration shows the object used by an artist for painting.
    My question is: was I wrong giving "brush" instead of "paintbrush"?
    Our English-Romanian and Romanian-English dictionaries give you only "brush" for the object used for painting.
    Can "brush" cover the meaning of "paintbrush" just as well, or should I be more specific and rewrite the test with "paintbrush"?

Thank you very much,
    angela
    B: my answer about 'pencil-sharpener' applies equally to paintbrush.

b