• Member Info
      • Native Language:
      • Uzbek
      • Home Country:
      • Uzbekistan
      • Current Location:
      • Uzbekistan

Arrow That-that???

Could you please explain the part of the sentence in bold please? Why is 'that' missing before 'has been suspended'.

A policeman caught on camera hitting newspaper seller Ian Tomlinson and shoving him to the ground during G20 protests has been suspended.

In that case, what about this sentence?

I get into a quarrel during the lesson has been dedicated to issues of psychology.

Thank you all.

Re: That-that???

Quote Originally Posted by azkad View Post
    Could you please explain the part of the sentence in bold please? Why is 'that' missing before 'has been suspended'.

A policeman caught on camera hitting newspaper seller Ian Tomlinson and shoving him to the ground during G20 protests has been suspended.

In that case, what about this sentence?

I get into a quarrel during the lesson has been dedicated to issues of psychology.

Thank you all.
    The policeman has been suspended. You do not need 'that'.

The part in bold postmodifies the subject (a policeman).

The sentence is similar to this:
    A violent policeman has been suspended. -- here though the adjective is atributive.
    ------
    'during the lesson' is not adjectival. It is an adjunct.
    You need 'that'.