• Member Info
      • Native Language:
      • Korean
      • Home Country:
      • South Korea
      • Current Location:
      • South Korea

in houe style

The following sentences are discussing how difficult it is to write a book and I am not sure what the red parts mean. Can you please explain?

1. Whilst the overall story and thrust of the book may be acceptable, it will probably have to conform to an in-house style as regards language, spelling and punctuation.

2. More seriously, the integrity of the text may be challenged and this may require radical re-drafing which is usually unpalatable to the author.

Re: in houe style

Quote Originally Posted by bosun View Post
    The following sentences are discussing how difficult it is to write a book and I am not sure what the red parts mean. Can you please explain?

1. Whilst the overall story and thrust of the book may be acceptable, it will probably have to conform to an in-house style as regards language, spelling and punctuation.

When [and if] the book is accepted by a publisher, that publisher will have a particular style it uses in producing its books. This is the "house-style"and will govern both grammatical minutiae and physical appearance [ layout - of the text.

2. More seriously, the integrity of the text may be challenged and this may require radical re-drafting which is usually unpalatable to the author.

The publishers will require the author to rewrite those parts of the book that do not conform or are not up to standard.