Usage of two "ing" words together

Hello,

I am a writer and English is my first language. I have searched online for several days to identify the rules broken in the following sentence and, although I know there is something wrong with it, I'm not sure how to describe the problem(s).

I think it is a common mistake and your input can help others.

There may be two flaws: one is in using a combined perfect progressive and present perfect progressive and the other is a poor choice of language which could represent another broken rule in the use of two "ing" words one after the other.

The sentence is: "Many investors who seek greater safety of principal and a reliable source of income in today's volatile market have been or are considering increasing their fixed-income holdings."

• Member Info
      • Native Language:
      • English
      • Home Country:
      • Canada
      • Current Location:
      • Canada

Re: Usage of two "ing" words together

Welcome!

I am a writer and English is my first language. I have searched online for several days to identify the rules broken in the following sentence and, although I know there is something wrong with it, I'm not sure how to describe the problem(s).

There may be two flaws: one is in using a combined perfect progressive and present perfect progressive

"Many investors who seek greater safety of principal and a reliable source of income in today's volatile market have been increasing or are considering increasing their fixed-income holdings."
    You should add the blue 'increasing' there because without it the sentence can be read as saying 'have been considering or are considering increasing...', both of which mean the same thing.

and the other is a poor choice of language which could represent another broken rule in the use of two "ing" words one after the other.

Two, or more, '-ing' words one after the other is not a problem.

I am considering quitting smoking.
    I am quitting drinking, smoking, gambling, fighting, (etc)
    Last edited by 2006; 13-Apr-2009 at 19:49. Reason: punctuation