Results 1 to 2 of 2

    • Join Date: Mar 2009
    • Posts: 10

    Looking for an English word

    Hi, there!

    I was e-mailing a friend (he is Italian but we instant-message and exchange e-mails in English) and I got stuck on a word I can't translate. It's quite simple actually, but I couldn't find it in any Port-Engl bilingual dictionaries. I'm talking about a sheet of paper or a magnetic card (more common these days) you are given when you enter a nightclub so that the bartender can record what you've had on it and you don't need to pay each time you buy a drink but you settle on leaving the club. There usually is a hefty fine if you lose your card (to avoid people "losing" it when they realize they've run up a massive bill). I'd like to know what they are called in English. I'd appreciate your help.

    Oh: first message on this board!

    P.S.: I'm aware that the title of the thread is a bit vague and probably doesn't help people who might be looking for the same word, but I couldn't think of anything better. Moderators, please fel free to edit it!

  1. Key Member
    Interested in Language
    • Member Info
      • Native Language:
      • Chinese
      • Home Country:
      • Malaysia
      • Current Location:
      • Malaysia

    • Join Date: Jun 2006
    • Posts: 2,130

    Re: Looking for an English word

    smart card/stored-value card

Similar Threads

  1. Help
    By zhangjin in forum Ask a Teacher
    Replies: 22
    Last Post: 29-Mar-2008, 20:47
  2. Composition - pls. look through for mistakes
    By popsie in forum Editing & Writing Topics
    Replies: 2
    Last Post: 24-Feb-2008, 23:12
  3. Replies: 3
    Last Post: 16-Jan-2008, 07:33


Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts