• Post Thanks / Like

Am I right?

I've found the sentences which I think are mistakes in the English text book for middle school students.
    Please let me know if I am right?
    -----------------------------
    1. As a Strine speaker, I've never realised how different Australian English is from American or British English. After I have talked to a few Americans, I find that some of my words are quite diferent from their words. For example, think abouit how to say "vegetables" or "TV" in Australia?

I think "After I have talked to a few Americans, I find that ......" should be changed to "After I talked to a few Americans, I have found that....."

Am I right?

2. So many people have said it before, we must listen: "The most important thing for a healthy mind is a healthy body." It sounds simple, but is hard to do. Are you a fit person? Do you eat well? Follow these simple ideas and you will be feeling better soon.

I think "have said" should be changed to "said" and " be feeling" to "feel".
    Besides. the sentences is the beginning part of the writings. What is it?

It doesn't feel like that the sentences above are natural, grammatically kind of wrong. Am I right?

• Post Thanks / Like

Re: Am I right?

Quote Originally Posted by Brightsun View Post
    I've found the sentences which I think are mistakes in the English text book for middle school students.
    Please let me know if I am right?
    -----------------------------
    1. As a Strine speaker, I've never realised how different Australian English is from American or British English. After I have talked to a few Americans, I find that some of my words are quite diferent from their words. For example, think abouit how to say "vegetables" or "TV" in Australia?

I think "After I have talked to a few Americans, I find that ......" should be changed to "After I talked to a few Americans, I have found that....."

Am I right?

2. So many people have said it before, we must listen: "The most important thing for a healthy mind is a healthy body." It sounds simple, but is hard to do. Are you a fit person? Do you eat well? Follow these simple ideas and you will be feeling better soon.

I think "have said" should be changed to "said" and " be feeling" to "feel".
    Besides. the sentences is the beginning part of the writings. What is it?

It doesn't feel like that the sentences above are natural, grammatically kind of wrong. Am I right?
    after + perfect tense is an accepted practice and is quite common

In your second sentence, the object of the verb is separated from the verb by a comma. According to my understanding, this is fatal error.

So many people said (it) before that...
    "be feeling" is OK; the progressive tense gives some dynamic flavor to the idea.

• Post Thanks / Like

There are clashing tenses; but to 'correct' this, we have to know, what is the writer's intended perspective?
    If we choose "...Americans, I find that some of my words ..." -Simple Present tense.

Look at how "I find..." might be used. A judge says:
    "After I have heard the evidence, (then) I will give my verdict."
    or
    "Having heard the evidence, I find the defendant..."
    or
    "I have heard the evidence, and I find the defendant..."

If we transpose the given sentence:
    1."After I have talked to a few Americans, I may/might/could find that some of my words are..."- that's not the meaning intended.
    and
    2."Having talked to a few Americans, I find that some of my words are..." - YES
    and
    3. "I have talked to a few Americans, and I find that some of my words are..." YES

The best of these is (2).

So - then looking at the preceding sentence:
    "...I've never realised how different Australian English is from American...English." Visually, the time scale is:
    <..........past life, never realizing........>NOW, the moment of speaking. And, the implication is, that this state continues after the moment of speaking. That is:
    <........past life, have not realized.......|NOW|...have never realized..........>
    Yet at the moment of speaking, he implies that he has realized: "I find..."

If that isn't complicated enough, the poor listener/reader has to juggle a second Present Perfect time scale simultaneously:
    "After I have talked to Americans..." becomes, visually
    <.......have talked to Americans>NOW
    So - we have to conceive that simultaneously, his period of not realizing continued throughout the period of talking with the Americans, until there was a sudden change at the NOW moment...which still clashes with the expectation that 'not realizing' will continue beyond NOW.

Brightsun - don't try to get your head around this. It's cracking mine trying to conceive it! Be very content with your English skills that you knew something was wrong!

A better formulation of the writer's thoughts, trying to preserve, "I find...":

As a Strine speaker, I'd (I had) never realised how different Australian English is from American or British English. Having talked to a few Americans, I find that some of my words are quite diferent from their words.

"I find..." in the Present Tense, because he now sees the difference as a fact in his life, confirmed every time he now hears Americans speak.

Whew!
    Last edited by David L.; 14-Apr-2009 at 09:09.

• Post Thanks / Like

Dear David!
    I really appreciate your kind and detailed explanation.
    I read your reply several times. ^^
    I am very contented with your help. Thank you so much!

• Post Thanks / Like

You have made it a pleasure to have been of help.