1. Newbie
    Student or Learner

Help me!

Hello!
    I am new here , and I have just studied English recently. I 've read old posts about "for a long time" and "in along time". On the one hand, I think I got it. On the other hand, I 'm not sure; I mean I doubt myself. I have two examples:
    The first:
    -' There will be a new bridge started in three months here.'
    -" No, I've planed it out myself. Due to budget deficit, the bridge will not be started IN A LONG TIME."
    The second:
    -' There will be a new bridge started in three months here.'
    -" No, I've planed it out myself. Due to budget deficit, the bridge will not be started FOR LONG "
    The first is mine, and the second is my friend's ; who is wrong? Maybe, it's both.
    Help me, please!

Re: Help me!

who is wrong?

Sorry - it's you.

-" No, I've planned it out myself. Due to a budget deficit, the bridge will not be started IN 10 years time." So - if it won't be started in 10 years time, when will they start to build the bridge?? - Can you see that the intended meaning has changed if you use 'in" .

-" No, I've planned it out myself. Due to a budget deficit, the bridge will not be started FOR 10 years/for a long time."

MOZAMBIQUE: Worst cholera outbreak in a long time

I haven't heard that song in a long time.
    Last edited by David L.; 14-Apr-2009 at 12:12.

2. Newbie
    Student or Learner

Re: Help me!

Hello David L.!
    First of all, thanks for your help. I got you. Please turn back to my sentences:
    -" No, I've planed it out myself. Due to budget deficit, the bridge will not be started IN A LONG TIME."
    Here I mean " None of us know when the bridge will be started. If we have enough money, we would have started to build our bridge, but unfortunately, we don't know how and when we will have it(money) enough. "
    In fact, it's not a period of the particular time like 'three years, ten years' ..."
    In this case, how can I say what I want?
    Second, can I put your sentence "I haven't heard that song in a long time." in the following context:
    (At the musical party)
    -Would you like the " HAPPY NEW YEAR" ?
    -OH! Do you have it? I haven't heard that song in a long time.
    Next, I am still puzzled of "in a long time" and " for a long time". I have the other example:
    -Have you seen Mr.John recently? I haven't met him in a long time, and now I want to meet him...
    -Oh! He moved to Africa for his work last year. Maybe, you should not be able to meet him IN A LONG TIME. He have a "timeless contract" there.
    Finally, please return back to the story of my bridge with a little change:
    -" There will be a new bridge started IN THREE MONTHS here and it will be finished FOR SIX MONTHS.'
    -" Are you sure? I've planed it out myself. Due to budget deficit, the bridge will be started IN THREE MONTHS, but it will be finished FOR NINE MONTHS."
    Please tell me if I am wrong and correct it for me.
    Thanks again. Yours sincerely !