1. Unregistered

voicedd vs unvoiced th how to predict

voiced and unvoiced th sounds in English - any way to predict which will be used?

• Member Info
      • Native Language:
      • English
      • Home Country:
      • United States
      • Current Location:
      • United States

Re: voicedd vs unvoiced th how to predict

Quote Originally Posted by Unregistered View Post
    voiced and unvoiced th sounds in English - any way to predict which will be used?
    English being derived from such a wide a variety of other languages, combinations of letters may be voiced in one word, but unvoiced in another.

For instance, in the word CONNECT, the second "C" is voiced, but...

In CONNECTICUT, in which the second syllable is spelled exactly the same, the second "C" is not voiced (con NET i cut). The original Mohican word, anglicized as quinnitukqut, gives no clues as to why that silent "C" is even there.

You simply have to become accustomed to the word and remember how it is pronounced.

• Member Info
      • Native Language:
      • English
      • Home Country:
      • UK
      • Current Location:
      • UK

Quote Originally Posted by mfwills View Post
    English being derived from such a wide a variety of other languages, combinations of letters may be voiced in one word, but unvoiced in another.

For instance, in the word CONNECT, the second "C" is voiced, but...

In CONNECTICUT, in which the second syllable is spelled exactly the same, the second "C" is not voiced (con NET i cut). The original Mohican word, anglicized as quinnitukqut, gives no clues as to why that silent "C" is even there.

You simply have to become accustomed to the word and remember how it is pronounced.
    I'm afraid you've got the wrong end of the stick. What you're talking about is the "c" being sounded as (/k/); the voiced partner of /k/ is /g/.

The original post was asking about the difference between /ɵ/ and //. The answer (well, part of the answer - applying only to the beginnings of words is that nouns, adjectives, adverbs and verbs (thing, thoughtful, thoroughly, think) start with /ɵ/. You can do what is called a wug test for this. Write the question 'What is a thurp?' and ask people to read it. The word "thurp", although it doesn't exist outside my mind, will have a /ɵ/ (if you ask a native speaker). Write the statement 'This thurp is coloured thamp.' Again, native speakers will not even consider using a // - except for 'This'... Etc - you can test the other parts of speech in the same way.

A small set of words (only 20 or so) starts with //; I think they are all determiners - though the naming of parts is not my strong suit.
    The, then, this, that, though, therefore, thus, these, those, they, them...

b

The English spelling system, as you know, in places is something close to chaos; you simply have to listen, listen, and remember. If, for example, you hear somebody say "please lease the property to me," you'll hear /Z/ at the end of the word "please" and /s/ at the end of the word "lease," and there's no way to predict that sort of thing - you just have to hear it and try to remember. Regrettably.