Results 1 to 6 of 6
  1. paochai01's Avatar
    • Member Info
      • Native Language:
      • English
      • Home Country:
      • United States
      • Current Location:
      • New Zealand

    • Join Date: Jul 2006
    • Posts: 228
    #1

    Is this the right preposition?

    "Is there anyone else I can talk to regarding this if you're not going to be available during the webinar?"

    Anything that needs correction besides the preposition 'during' and the conditional tense?
    Last edited by paochai01; 14-Apr-2009 at 21:08.

  2. Monticello's Avatar
    • Member Info
      • Native Language:
      • English
      • Home Country:
      • United States
      • Current Location:
      • United States

    • Join Date: Feb 2009
    • Posts: 455
    #2

    Re: Is this the right preposition?

    Quote Originally Posted by paochai01 View Post
    "Is there anyone else I can talk to regarding this if you're not going to be available during the webinar?"

    Anything that needs correction besides the preposition 'during' and the conditional tense?
    Hi paochai01,

    Regarding your sentence, my first question is: What exactly is this?

    Since you appear to be asking for some specific assistance, why not be as specific as you can in your request? i.e., "this problem about ____...", "this essay (or thesis), with a special focus on ______ ...", etc.

    Even though you may have already made previous reference to whatever this is, your request for assistance will be made stronger by being as specific as you can be here. With this suggestion in mind, you might consider this rephrasing:

    "I welcome comments and feedback concerning _________ (fill in the blank here, being as explicit as you can) from any of those who will not be available during the upcoming webinar to be held _________ (fill in the blank with the date/from time - to time) at (URL)."
    Last edited by Monticello; 15-Apr-2009 at 02:04.

  3. paochai01's Avatar
    • Member Info
      • Native Language:
      • English
      • Home Country:
      • United States
      • Current Location:
      • New Zealand

    • Join Date: Jul 2006
    • Posts: 228
    #3

    Re: Is this the right preposition?

    Hi Monticello,
    The scenario is a call center agent inviting customers to a webinar. The outbound representative calls a client, asks questions, informs him about the webinar and all. However, the person on the other line might not be the best person to talk to in the company or might be the best person but is not available on the day of the webinar so the agent asked for anyone who might be interested. The call center agent used 'this' to refer to the webinar invite.

  4. Monticello's Avatar
    • Member Info
      • Native Language:
      • English
      • Home Country:
      • United States
      • Current Location:
      • United States

    • Join Date: Feb 2009
    • Posts: 455
    #4

    Re: Is this the right preposition?

    Quote Originally Posted by paochai01 View Post
    Hi Monticello,
    The scenario is a call center agent inviting customers to a webinar. The outbound representative calls a client, asks questions, informs him about the webinar and all. However, the person on the other line might not be the best person to talk to in the company or might be the best person but is not available on the day of the webinar so the agent asked for anyone who might be interested. The call center agent used 'this' to refer to the webinar invite.
    Hi paochai01,

    Thanks for the clarification. Your sentence makes more sense to me now.

    As you have written it, your sentence is OK; there is nothing wrong with your use of the preposition, duration, here. It is more customary, however, to begin such a sentence with the "if" clause. Thus, you may want to consider:
    If you're not going to be available for the webinar, scheduled for _________________ (here provide date/from time - to time), is there anyone else I can talk to who might be available during this scheduled time?

  5. paochai01's Avatar
    • Member Info
      • Native Language:
      • English
      • Home Country:
      • United States
      • Current Location:
      • New Zealand

    • Join Date: Jul 2006
    • Posts: 228
    #5

    Re: Is this the right preposition?

    Cool! Great! I love that!!! Thanks, Monticello!
    I appreciate your time so much... I'm learnin'!

  6. Monticello's Avatar
    • Member Info
      • Native Language:
      • English
      • Home Country:
      • United States
      • Current Location:
      • United States

    • Join Date: Feb 2009
    • Posts: 455
    #6

    Re: Is this the right preposition?

    Quote Originally Posted by paochai01 View Post
    Cool! Great! I love that!!! Thanks, Monticello!
    I appreciate your time so much... I'm learnin'!
    My pleasure paochai01.

    By the way, in my previous post I wrote: "there is nothing wrong with your use of the preposition, duration ..."

    I meant instead " ... the preposition, during ...," as duration is, of course, a noun. (My fingers sometimes seem have a mind of their own.)

Similar Threads

  1. [Grammar] Omitting preposition in prepositional phrases w/ gerund as object
    By Tyrone Slothrop in forum Ask a Teacher
    Replies: 5
    Last Post: 28-Jan-2009, 20:42
  2. Preposition
    By Dinhtuong in forum Ask a Teacher
    Replies: 3
    Last Post: 16-Oct-2007, 18:14
  3. [ESL Weblog] Where's the (roach)? It's (preposition) the wall.
    By Tdol in forum UsingEnglish.com Content
    Replies: 0
    Last Post: 02-Oct-2006, 07:10
  4. Preposition ommission
    By Thompson-Tu in forum Ask a Teacher
    Replies: 1
    Last Post: 24-Aug-2006, 03:25
  5. preposition
    By james_chew_84 in forum Ask a Teacher
    Replies: 1
    Last Post: 07-Jan-2005, 07:01

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •