• Member Info
      • Native Language:
      • Telugu
      • Home Country:
      • India
      • Current Location:
      • India

will have vs would have

In two months, I will have completed 3 years in this organization.
    In two months, I would have completed 3 years in this organization.

Can someone please tell me which of the above two sentences is correct? Also, is finish a better alternative for complete here?

• Member Info
      • Native Language:
      • English
      • Home Country:
      • Canada
      • Current Location:
      • Canada

Re: will have vs would have

Quote Originally Posted by daemon99 View Post
    In two months, I will have completed 3 years in this organization.
    In two months, I would have completed 3 years in this organization.

Can someone please tell me which of the above two sentences is correct? Also, is finish a better alternative for complete here? no, not better but you can use 'finished'
    Both sentences are correct.
    Do you know what they mean? Give it a try.

• Member Info
      • Native Language:
      • Telugu
      • Home Country:
      • India
      • Current Location:
      • India

When I asked this question, I thought only will have is correct. I thought would have is used when talking about things that happened in the past.

Eg: If I hadn't left that organization last month, I would have completed 3 years in it today.

But you say that both are correct. I assume both mean the same -- that I'll be 3 years old in that organization in two months.

• Member Info
      • Native Language:
      • English
      • Home Country:
      • Canada
      • Current Location:
      • Canada

Quote Originally Posted by daemon99 View Post
    When I asked this question, I thought only will have is correct. I thought would have is used when talking about things that happened in the past. No! "would have" is not restricted to talking about the past.
    Eg: If I hadn't left that organization last month, I would have completed 3 years in it today.

But you say that both are correct. I assume both mean the same No! -- that I'll be 3 years old in that organization in two months.
    "In two months, I will have completed 3 years.... " means that you will still be working there in two months and at that time you will reach the three-year mark.

"In two months, I would have completed 3 years..." means that you will not be working there in two months, and therefore will not reach the three-year mark. But you would have completed three years if you didn't have to stop working there.

Serving as the past tense of 'will' is only one function of "would". But speaking of tenses, "would" can be used for present and future things as well.

"would" is a much used and complicated word, and the above only addresses some of the uses of "would".

Both sentences are correct, that is, grammatical. The first means that you're still with the firm, the second means that you're not.

• Member Info
      • Native Language:
      • English
      • Home Country:
      • Canada
      • Current Location:
      • Canada

Quote Originally Posted by gabber View Post
    Both sentences are correct, that is, grammatical. The first means that you're still with the firm, the second means that you're not.
    You could still be with the firm/organization. The essential thing is that you won't be there in two months from now. (Maybe you were just notified that you will be laid off in one month.)