• Native Language:
      • Chinese
      • Home Country:
      • China
      • Current Location:
      • China

Wall Street ends in red in changing session

Wall Street ends in red in changing session

A wild week for Wall Street stocks that saw their biggest gain since the Depression and worst sell-off since 1987 drew to a close with another changing session that ended in the red. The market swung between gains of as much as 4 per cent and losses that hit 2.9 per cent. The S&P 500 closed down 0.6 per cent at 960.56 points. The Nasdaq was down 0.4 per cent at 1,711.29 points, and the Dow was down 1.5 per cents at 8,852.22 points.

This is the first paragraph of a passage from my comprehension test paper. One of the test item is:What can we infer from the first paragraph?
    A. The week passed peacefully.
    B. Most people in Wall Street probably made profits.
    C. Most people in Wall Street probably operated at a loss.
    D. ...

The given answer is C. I'm not very interested in stock trading and almost know nothing about it. But I think we should choose B since the gains are 4 per cent and the losses are 2.9 per cent. Am I right?

(The second paragraph runs as follows:
    Yet the benchmark S&Pstill finished the week up 4.6 per cent - its highest gain since Iraq was occupied in 2003 -with the Nasdaq up 3.4 per cent and the Dow 4.7 per cent higher....)

Looking forward to an explanation as soon as possible. Thank you in advance.
    Last edited by joham; 17-Apr-2009 at 23:20.

• Member Info
      • Native Language:
      • Chinese
      • Home Country:
      • China
      • Current Location:
      • China

Re: Wall Street ends in red in changing session

I posted this question days ago and I badly need help. Could anyone give me a hand?

1. 'In the red' means 'losing money'. But the news story seems to say that the stocks were a bit down only when the week closed and they all finished the week more than 3 per cent up.

2. In China when the stocks are up, the figures are in red and those 'down' figures are always in green.

Thus I get confused about the given answer.

Would anyone be so kind as to help me please? Many thanks in advance.

• Member Info
      • Native Language:
      • Chinese
      • Home Country:
      • China
      • Current Location:
      • China

Couldn't anyone help me with this question? Does this post sound inappropriet to you so that no one would answer it?

Thank you again.

A wild week for Wall Street stocks that saw their biggest gain since the Depression and worst sell-off since 1987 drew to a close with another changing session that ended in the red. The market swung between gains of as much as 4 per cent and losses that hit 2.9 per cent. The S&P 500 closed down 0.6 per cent at 960.56 points. The Nasdaq was down 0.4 per cent at 1,711.29 points, and the Dow was down 1.5 per cents at 8,852.22 points.

saw their biggest gain since the Depression and worst sell-off since 1987
    Stocks have fluctuated wildly during the week. Some poor stocks may have recovered and gone up in price (and may then have fallen again a couple of days later); and some good stocks may suddenly have plummeted (=decrease rapidly in value or amount). Averaging out the gains against the losses, overall, the losses were greater. (=in the red)*
    Now, note carefully the following:
    The market swung between gains of as much as 4 per cent and losses that hit 2.9 per cent.
    The gains and losses are in terms of individual stocks, some gaining as much as 4% in price, others losing as much as 2.9%

Say you have two stocks gaining, one 4% and one 3%, but 8 losing between 1.5% and 2.9%, then overall, stocks have shown a downward movement. This is represented in whether the Index goes up or down:
    The S&P 500 closed down 0.6 per cent at 960.56 points. The Nasdaq was down 0.4 per cent at 1,711.29 points, and the Dow was down 1.5 per cents at 8,852.22 points.

A. The week passed peacefully. - NO. It was "a wild week"
    B. Most people in Wall Street probably made profits.
    C. Most people in Wall Street probably operated at a loss.
    The Indices (singular "Index") shows whether overall, stocks went up (people made profits) or went down (people incurred losses). For the Indices quoted above, one 'closed down' and two "(were) down." Most people lost money.

"in the red": the situation of owing money or showing a debit
    compare "in the black"
    Last edited by David L.; 21-Apr-2009 at 04:12.

• Member Info
      • Native Language:
      • Chinese
      • Home Country:
      • China
      • Current Location:
      • China

I got it at last. A thousand thanks, David L. And thank this forum.

And thanks to this forum

Mine too. It's a privilige to be a contrbuter in a forum of this standard and calibre.
    Last edited by David L.; 21-Apr-2009 at 06:38.