Accent2...Anglika

Dear Anglika,
    U sent me in such great shock! Perhaps Ive got sort of wrong interpretation of the whole idea...We (a couple of friends) are aching for wot we feel is Londoner's! Ive once heard that Estuary is a kind of compromise between the RP and Cockney, and that it's got a rule-governed structure...(cluless yet!)...However, we like Ur smashing accent the way it is! With all the glottals and missed Rs! Ta!

Re: Accent2...Anglika

It's very complex. I have never heard that EE has its own grammar rules - as with Cockney, it is more that it fails to follow the standard ones or even retains long outmoded structures, and slurs consonants as well as using glottal stops. Typically ""Fanks" for "Thanks"; "arf" for "half". To turn up in London using an Estuary dialect would not necessarily make you sound any more native. In fact, it will make you sound as if you are trying to be native but are not.

Londoners is too broad a term. There are the native Londoners born [now rarely] within the City of London, by tradition within earshot of the bells in Bow Church. They are the people who are now called Cockney. Those who come from south of the Thames have a distinctively different accent from those further north. There are millions more who use RP or variants.

• Member Info
      • Native Language:
      • Persian
      • Home Country:
      • Iran
      • Current Location:
      • Iran

Re: Accent2...Anglika

[quote=Anglika;465830]It's very complex. I have never heard that EE has its own grammar rules - as with Cockney, it is more that it fails to follow the standard ones or even retains long outmoded structures, and slurs consonants as well as using glottal stops. Typically ""Fanks" for "Thanks"; "arf" for "half". To turn up in London using an Estuary dialect would not necessarily make you sound any more native. In fact, it will make you sound as if you are trying to be native but are not.

Quite Complex!
    I think native speakers aren't good judges for their own Lg...Maybe instead of accent we'd better focus on Dialect as they are more simply distinguished by foreigners as this is not the case with accents...I know you're right, the only thing we're interested is the most interesting linguistic features such as intonation, change in stress,...etc. regardless of where they're coming from, and that's why we're copying everything that sounds nice to us! Well, the blame is to be put on the British Lg course designers (like Mr Jack Richards!) who've devoted more to American English than the British one!!! However, still I'd be delighted if you could introduce us some useful sources for EFL...Ta!