• Member Info
      • Native Language:
      • Chinese
      • Home Country:
      • Hong Kong
      • Current Location:
      • Hong Kong

hard-earned

Would you help me with the meanings of the following words/phrases in red?

1) Those short getaways to a nearby city, and the hard-earned long holidays that give you a break from the job - suddenly seem too extravagant in these tough times.

2) During this trying economic times, hard-pessed hotels, tour operator, airlines, even whole cities want your business.

3) Hotels across the world are working hard to keep heads in beds.

4) The boss concerned about public perception and shareholder sentiment are on their toes about extravagant expenditure and scaling down on all those outlandist frills that boom time bequeaths; private jets are being sold....

5) early-bird enrollment will get 20% discount....

Tks / ju

Re: hard-earned

Please note that I'm not a teacher, but I have spoken the English language for almost 35 years. These are very common sayings in the US so I feel comfortable giving advice this time.

Quote Originally Posted by Ju View Post
    Would you help me with the meanings of the following words/phrases in red?

1) Those short getaways to a nearby city, and the hard-earned long holidays that give you a break from the job - suddenly seem too extravagant in these tough times. "Hard-earned" means gained through great difficulty.

2) During this trying economic times, hard-pressed hotels, tour operator, airlines, even whole cities want your business.
    I think you mean "hard pressed". This means they're facing or experiencing financial trouble or difficulty.

3) Hotels across the world are working hard to keep heads in beds.
    Working hard to keep customers coming to their hotels.

4) The boss concerned about public perception and shareholder sentiment are on their toes about extravagant expenditure and scaling down on all those outlandist frills that boom time bequeaths; private jets are being sold....
    "On their toes" means, generally, that they are responsive to ongoing situations. Ready to act.
    "Outlandish Frills" means extravagant perks or gifts of little or no value, but usually a great expense to the giver.
    "Boom time bequeaths" means that they were able to provide those frills when financial times were good.

5) early-bird enrollment will get 20% discount....
    "Early bird" means someone who enrolls early.

Tks / ju

• Member Info
      • Native Language:
      • Chinese
      • Home Country:
      • Hong Kong
      • Current Location:
      • Hong Kong

Quote Originally Posted by Garmar View Post
    Please note that I'm not a teacher, but I have spoken the English language for almost 35 years. These are very common sayings in the US so I feel comfortable giving advice this time.
    Dear Garmar,

Thanks for your kind reply, you really help me a lot. Do you think the following sentences are OK?

1) We should not waste money on those unnecessary stuff as those in your pocket are hard-earned money from your mum.

2) During this economic turnmoil, a number of hard pressed businesses are facing the misfortune of close-down.

3) My dad has been working very hard in his car business to keep heads in beds.

4) Those fresh graduates are leaving college soon and well on their toes for a new path in career.

5) I am from a modest family where I could never able to afford to own such a outlandish frill.

6) Sorry, I don't know how to make sentence with "Boom time bequeaths" Can you suggest?

5) I can't miss the early-bird enrollment so as to save $100.

Tks / ju

1) We should not waste money on those unnecessary stuff as those in your pocket are hard-earned money from your mum.
    Awkward syntax, but correct in context. A much better way to write this would be to rephrase the sentence.

That is hard-earned money your mum gave you. We shouldn't waste it on unnecessary stuff.

2) During this economic turnmoil, turmoil, a number of hard pressed businesses are facing the misfortune of close-down closing down.

3) My dad has been working very hard in his car business to keep heads in beds.
    This one doesn't really work because it refers to "beds" as in customers sleeping in their beds. It's specific to the hotel industry.
    4) Those fresh graduates are leaving college soon and well on their
    toes way for to a new career path. in career.
    "On their toes" doesn't work well here. What does is "on their way". English is a slippery beast, eh?

5) I am from a modest family where I could never able to afford to own such a outlandish frill. This one works with a few grammar changes.
    I am from a modest family and could never afford to own such an outlandish frill.

6) Sorry, I don't know how to make sentence with "Boom time bequeaths" Can you suggest?
    "Bequeath" is a reference to items given in a will after someones death. So "boom time" and "bequeaths" really don't go together in normal speaking or writing. I should have mentioned that earlier.So it isn't surprising you couldn't think of a sentence using these terms.

5) I can't miss the early-bird enrollment so as to save $100.
    This is a bit awkwardly phrased, but seems fine in context.