• Native Language:
      • Persian
      • Home Country:
      • Iran
      • Current Location:
      • Iran

College Vrs University

Hi,
    I've looked up the point in many sources, and still got no clue what the difference is in BrE...Anyone knows?

Re: College Vrs University

This came up about 6 months or more ago. I've tried Search, but to no avail. (I very seldom DO have success with the Search feature! It's the one disappointment in the otherwise brilliant word-processing features on this site.)
    Can anyone else find/locate/remember it?
    Is the original threader reading this and can help locate it?

The topic was so well covered in that thread!

PS
    following that observation further: there is so much good information languishing 'in the archives'.
    One would think - I won't go as far as 'expect' - that with Key Words 'college' and 'university' and/or the same under Tags; and since I also contributed, with 'David L.' for Find Posts By, a few should come up. Juggling the combination, I either get none, or half of all the posts I've ever written.
    If we could just have a simplified database file retrieval system- just plug in: Find Posts By 'member name' where (and we list one to four words) are found -I don't mind wading through 50 or so Tiltles of threads till one strikes a bell. But under Search, so many came up that didn't even have 'college' or 'university' occurring in the entire thread!
    nudge nudge
    Last edited by David L.; 19-Apr-2009 at 00:55.

• Member Info
      • Native Language:
      • Persian
      • Home Country:
      • Iran
      • Current Location:
      • Iran

Quote Originally Posted by David L. View Post
    This came up about 6 months or more ago. I've tried Search, but to no avail. (I very seldom DO have success with the Search feature! It's the one disappointment in the otherwise brilliant word-processing features on this site.)
    Can anyone else find/locate/remember it?
    Is the original threader reading this and can help locate it?

The topic was so well covered in that thread!
    Further, is it just a case of usage differences between AmE and BrE, or it's due to the unique educational system in the UK? So many thanks David!

It is more than simple word-use. There are different educational systems in question.

Which country is it that you are concerned with? Here we have Universities which are tertiary education providers. Some consist of a single campus or college; The older ones consist of colleges to which a student belongs and in which he/she may live and the overall entity which provides the teaching process. They are linked but are not identical.

The US has a different system

This may be what David was looking for: https://www.usingenglish.com/forum/a...niversity.html